Forums

PoF Farmhands and ImprovementsThread is locked

Quick find code: 15-16-696-66081083

Blackwing

Blackwing

Posts: 38,163Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for the extra bank space in the form of the animal barn, but please Jagex, while you're at it, why not just give all paying members all the bank boosters for free? Since they're already paying for the game & other P2P games have given maximum storage space without MTX & your game can handle it (otherwise you wouldn't be offering it even for extra payment), there's no need for you to charge extra for bank space.

In fact, it'd be a display of goodwill, which would increase player satisfaction and thus increase membership sales! > )
The Runescape Witcher
|| Arclight for demons | Ghrazi rapier for humans and monsters

04-Feb-2019 10:54:04

Blackwing

Blackwing

Posts: 38,163Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Draco Burnz said:
Blackwing said:
Thanks for the extra bank space in the form of the animal barn, but please Jagex, while you're at it, why not just give all paying members all the bank boosters for free? Since they're already paying for the game & other P2P games have given maximum storage space without MTX & your game can handle it (otherwise you wouldn't be offering it even for extra payment), there's no need for you to charge extra for bank space.

In fact, it'd be a display of goodwill, which would increase player satisfaction and thus increase membership sales! > )


Why do this when they can make money and ppl can get space at the same time?:o

Ironically, Jagex would very likely make more money by offering full bank space for free (for all paying members), because many people either can't afford spending that extra money on bank space, or refuse to pay extra for it (because like said, there are other P2P games that offer full storage for free, so it's proven to be possible), so the display of goodwill from making a pro-consumer decision would certainly increase membership sales through word of mouth.

Remember, a big part of the reason why Runescape originally became successful was the word of mouth; people spread the word of the game like hotcakes, I remember how wildly the word spread in my city as well. OSRS also became much more successful due to word of mouth, and so Jagex making a decision like this would certainly do the same! > )
The Runescape Witcher
|| Arclight for demons | Ghrazi rapier for humans and monsters

04-Feb-2019 11:16:42

Blackwing

Blackwing

Posts: 38,163Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Draco Burnz said:
Blackwing said:
Ironically, Jagex would very likely make more money by offering full bank space for free (for all paying members), because many people either can't afford spending that extra money on bank space, or refuse to pay extra for it (because like said, there are other P2P games that offer full storage for free, so it's proven to be possible), so the display of goodwill from making a pro-consumer decision would certainly increase membership sales through word of mouth.

Remember, a big part of the reason why Runescape originally became successful was the word of mouth; people spread the word of the game like hotcakes, I remember how wildly the word spread in my city as well. OSRS also became much more successful due to word of mouth, and so Jagex making a decision like this would certainly do the same! > )


How do they make more money off vip with this?

You do know golds only pay once then they n o longer make money off them right?

Some logic this is.

Gold premier members pay once a year, not once in a lifetime; their decision to keep buying membership next year could easily be influenced by this as well. If they feel like they've been treated like whales, they're much less likely to keep buying (unless they're one of the few whales), but on the other hand, if they've been treated respectfully, they're much more likely to keep buying membership next year.

And it's not just about how much existing players pay; like I said, word of mouth has been behind Runescape's success in a big part, so if the existing players are treated with pro-consumer decisions, they're much more likely to recommend the game to players who currently don't play Runescape, or even advertise the game to entirely new players! > )
The Runescape Witcher
|| Arclight for demons | Ghrazi rapier for humans and monsters

04-Feb-2019 11:25:49

Blackwing

Blackwing

Posts: 38,163Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Draco Burnz said:
Blackwing said:
Gold premier members pay once a year, not once in a lifetime; their decision to keep buying membership next year could easily be influenced by this as well. If they feel like they've been treated like whales, they're much less likely to keep buying (unless they're one of the few whales), but on the other hand, if they've been treated respectfully, they're much more likely to keep buying membership next year.


Yet how do they make more money off them during said year?

By them spreading good word about the game to players who have quit or players who are entirely new to Runescape, who'd then buy membership.

They could also be encouraged to make new accounts (e.g. an ironman if they haven't played it before), because pro-consumer decisions would give them more confidence in the future of the game. > )
The Runescape Witcher
|| Arclight for demons | Ghrazi rapier for humans and monsters

04-Feb-2019 11:29:01 - Last edited on 04-Feb-2019 11:29:21 by Blackwing

Blackwing

Blackwing

Posts: 38,163Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Draco Burnz said:
Blackwing said:
By them spreading good word about the game to players who have quit or players who are entirely new to Runescape, who'd then buy membership.

They could also be encouraged to make new accounts (e.g. an ironman if they haven't played it before), because pro-consumer decisions would give them more confidence in the future of the game. > )


Or this:

Draco Burnz said:
Oh thats right, have them buy things off sgs like bank space and things off th.

Short term vs. long term, Draco.

MTX might bring more profit in the short term, but they're an anti-consumer practice that scares people away and bores the players that stay with tedious grinding to "earn" the MTX rewards, which will sooner or later burn them out.

Membership monetization and pro-consumer decisions will attract new players instead of scaring them away, and keeps the game design focused on fun rather than boring the player into buying MTX, so the existing players will remain happy and keep playing and paying for membership. > )
The Runescape Witcher
|| Arclight for demons | Ghrazi rapier for humans and monsters

04-Feb-2019 11:39:02

Blackwing

Blackwing

Posts: 38,163Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CuddleBucket said:
I don't have a URL for you but it's been explained on Twitch that in fact it is necessary, there are limitations to the amount of bankspace before it starts causing problems in game, & they are basically at that limit. I don't remember the specifics but after it was explained I understood why they have the system they do.

The limit they explained was on how much bank space one player can have, not how much bank space there is overall, like I explained on my post on the other thread:


Blackwing said:
An actual game update at last; it's been a long 4 weeks of waiting. :P

So, let's talk about the animal barn: essentially it's like more bank space, except that it's not added to the bank and it's restricted in what you can put in there. We know now that the issue overall in adding more bank space to the actual bank is because the game might not be able to handle loading it all in one instance (the bank itself), so you make these workarounds where the separate "banks" like the animal barn are their own instances.

Normally that's fine, since it's a technical issue and the workarounds work as a substitute until something can be done to improve the bank (*cough* bank rework *cough), however, many people could be given significantly more bank space, if Jagex did the right thing and gave all paying members all the bank boosters for free, like any decent P2P game does. The game can handle it, otherwise you wouldn't be offering it with extra payment, and the extra money that Jagex'd make from the bank booster sales would just as well be received from more membership sales due to increased player satisfaction.

So please Jagex, whilst you're already on the topic of bank space, just give all paying members the maximum amount of bank space! > )

They could give all members max bank space, just not more than that.
The Runescape Witcher
|| Arclight for demons | Ghrazi rapier for humans and monsters

04-Feb-2019 11:43:03

Blackwing

Blackwing

Posts: 38,163Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Draco Burnz said:
Blackwing said:
MTX might bring more profit in the short term, but they're an anti-consumer practice that scares people away and bores the players that stay with tedious grinding to "earn" the MTX rewards, which will sooner or later burn them out.

Membership monetization and pro-consumer decisions will attract new players instead of scaring them away, and keeps the game design focused on fun rather than boring the player into buying MTX, so the existing players will remain happy and keep playing and paying for membership. > )


MTX seems to be bring in the long term money to me as they still make money of vip with it.

RS3 has been declining in the player numbers steadily for years now; I shouldn't have to explain to you why that's bad for the long term health of the game, as it should be common sense that a long term decline isn't a good long term scenario.

If Jagex stopped nickel & diming the playerbase, that long term decline could easily change to a long term growth instead. And that's a healthy long term scenario. > )


Draco Burnz said:
Blackwing said:
They could give all members max bank space, just not more than that.


Yet whos to say we're not already there if not close to it?

Umm...?

The maximum available bank space is what the game can run per player, so you could give that to every player and the game would do just fine. The issue would only occur if the maximum per-player bank space was increased and someone put it to use, crashing the game.
The Runescape Witcher
|| Arclight for demons | Ghrazi rapier for humans and monsters

04-Feb-2019 11:54:32

Blackwing

Blackwing

Posts: 38,163Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Stinkowing said:
Are you ever happy with what Jagex does anymore? I sincerely doubt it.

Why, because I keep suggesting Jagex to do certain changes? No game is ever perfect my friend, there's always room for improvement; some simply care more about improving the game than others. And just like in every day life, there are sometimes periods where there's a lot more positive going on than usual, and periods where there's a lot more negative going on than usual.

If Jagex gave all members the same maximum bank space for no extra cost, which they can do on the technical side or they wouldn't offer it in exchange for extra money, that'd be one thing I'd be happy about with Jagex.
The Runescape Witcher
|| Arclight for demons | Ghrazi rapier for humans and monsters

04-Feb-2019 14:48:13

Quick find code: 15-16-696-66081083Back to Top