Forums

Rework how Defence operates

Quick find code: 322-323-446-66063489

of 7
rishinger l

rishinger l

Posts: 1,725Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yes ill start by saying i know this is a lot of work but~

The way defence works right now is that the only thing it does is increase your change of being hit a 0, it does NOT actually reduce the damage you take at all.

So for example:

Say you get attacked by an attack doing 40 damage:


If you have 1 defence there is small chance of being hit nothing, and a large chance of being hit the full 40 damage

If you have 99 defence there is a larger change of being hit nothing, and a smaller chance of being hit the full 40 damage, but either way you're still hit for the full amount of damage from the attack.


I think that defence should be reworked so that your armour and defence level actually change how much damage you get hit, because the way it is right now:

whether im wear bronze or bandos
i will still be hit the exact same amount of damage

And if my defence is level 1 or level 99
You still get hit the exact same amount of damage

The ONLY thing defence does is give you a higher change of getting hit 0, your defence + your armour should actually reduce how much damage you take otherwise its pretty useless.

And before people talk about how hard this is to program, the Justicar armour set exists, and this is exactly what it does:

"If an enemy was using a crush style attack, and the player has a crush defence bonus of +450, then 15% of the damage (450/3,000) is reduced."

So they already have damage reducing mechanics on armor, but its literally only the highest tier armor.

Edit from someone else:

Not even 100% chance. Say full rune has a 25% chance to reduce by 50% of damage 25% to reduce range damage by 70%, 0% chance to effect magic, barrows/ dragon being better.

Magic armors would include magic reduction and less melee and range.

It shouldn't be a guaranteed reduction.

That way justicar would still keep its value as the only set that 100% reduces damage from attacks.

And higher tiers of armor would actually give a bonus proportionate to their level

26-Nov-2018 08:09:51 - Last edited on 24-Jan-2019 10:15:58 by rishinger l

rishinger l

rishinger l

Posts: 1,725Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
artemischild said:
I personally think they should leave defense alone and create a new skill to absorb the damage.


I feel that would be a lot more work, and that most people wouldnt want a combat skill just to absorb damage, because it would end up affecting your total combat level as well as increase the time it takes to grind all your combat skills, i think that the damage absorbtion is a good idea, but it should be an effect caused by a mix of defence and your current armour rating.

26-Nov-2018 17:17:43

Boabies
Dec Member 2018

Boabies

Posts: 2,750Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That's what Justiciar is for. You obviously don't understand the source code or implications of this suggestion like at all. Since luring nubnubs into the wilderness to be victims won't work, we should force them to anti-PK by preventing them from leaving the wilderness until they PK a couple of targets.

26-Nov-2018 17:23:24

Boabies
Dec Member 2018

Boabies

Posts: 2,750Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
artemischild said:
I personally think they should leave defense alone and create a new skill to absorb the damage.


In all honesty, this is the most unique idea I've seen but I don't think it could ever work from both a logical standpoint and a predictable one. Defense itself tells you that the purpose of the stat is to reduce damage taken. It just doesn't make sense to have a carbon copy of this skill.

Then, there's the fact that this just sounds like EoC. Some of us like simplicity. This would probably change the combat levels and make the combat system more complicated. No one wants to deal with that. You'd be better off suggesting this in the RS3 forums. That's how insane your idea sounds.

And on top of all that, I know the community a lot better than you do. You'd NEVER be able to pass something like that through a poll. It'd have to be forced in under integrity which I don't think Jagex would qualify as integrity in the current state of the game (although it might change in the future due to Jagex's tendency to wait until the problem's completely out of control to put a band-aid solution on it). People don't wanna have to train another skill just to have the proper stats to PvM. Once we max out our combat, we don't wanna have to worry about it ever again. And then, there's the fact that this would ruin an endless amount of PKing account builds. Simply put, not gonna happen.
Since luring nubnubs into the wilderness to be victims won't work, we should force them to anti-PK by preventing them from leaving the wilderness until they PK a couple of targets.

26-Nov-2018 17:31:25

rishinger l

rishinger l

Posts: 1,725Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Boabies said:
That's what Justiciar is for. You obviously don't understand the source code or implications of this suggestion like at all.


What im suggesting as a change to the defence skill and armour has literally allready been implemented in the game (via justicar), they've allready proved that they can create armour sets that reduce damage by a certain amount.

And just because it would be hard to do doesn't mean that this is something that shouldn't be done at all.

26-Nov-2018 17:40:23

Boabies
Dec Member 2018

Boabies

Posts: 2,750Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
rishinger l said:
Boabies said:
That's what Justiciar is for. You obviously don't understand the source code or implications of this suggestion like at all.


What im suggesting as a change to the defence skill and armour has literally allready been implemented in the game (via justicar), they've allready proved that they can create armour sets that reduce damage by a certain amount.

And just because it would be hard to do doesn't mean that this is something that shouldn't be done at all.


Justiciar is already nearly worthless for the difficulty of Raids II. We're not devaluing it even further solely because of your shortsightedness.
Since luring nubnubs into the wilderness to be victims won't work, we should force them to anti-PK by preventing them from leaving the wilderness until they PK a couple of targets.

26-Nov-2018 21:05:58

Boabies
Dec Member 2018

Boabies

Posts: 2,750Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lord Helsing said:
Support. I think Defense should also grant damage reduction, up to like 25% at 99 *with* armor

but barely any when not wearing armor


And let everyone AFK GWD and every other boss? Nty.
Since luring nubnubs into the wilderness to be victims won't work, we should force them to anti-PK by preventing them from leaving the wilderness until they PK a couple of targets.

26-Nov-2018 21:06:29

Boabies
Dec Member 2018

Boabies

Posts: 2,750Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This idea is just horrendous and belongs in the RS3 section. It's just spam, because it wouldn't ever come into the game. They went that route in Pre-EoC and look what happened. If you want broken shit where any boss is afkable, there's a game that has that. It's called RS3. Since luring nubnubs into the wilderness to be victims won't work, we should force them to anti-PK by preventing them from leaving the wilderness until they PK a couple of targets.

26-Nov-2018 21:07:35

Quick find code: 322-323-446-66063489Back to Top