Forums

Let's talk about Armadyl.

Quick find code: 341-342-913-66051101

of 3
A†Mighty
Dec Member 2018

A†Mighty

Posts: 2,210Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't really think Armadyl is trying to claim the moral high ground, at least not any more. Even in the dialogue you quoted, he realizes that he did wrong, and that nothing he can do can make it right. But it was still Zamorak who destroyed Forinthry, and Armadyl still can't forgive him for it. I really do think Armadyl is maturing, so to speak, and I can't wait to see what he ends up doing in the future (and what secrets he is hiding in his past!)

Dammit Talon, now I want RoP even more!!
To those cursed by war and pest, Come into the light of Armadyl and rest. This is the law of Armadyl.

09-Oct-2018 03:07:57

Maiden†China
Jan Member 2019

Maiden†China

Posts: 5,141Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Talonstalker said:

2 Allying with someone like Bandos.

Does that one even need to be explained? come on. One who seeks to lay waste on every world or someone who uses chaos as a means for improvement, who's the worst here?

when the latter is actively invading the world with a horde of demons and the former isn't an active threat and offers to help you...
Carn

09-Oct-2018 17:52:00 - Last edited on 09-Oct-2018 17:52:18 by Maiden†China

Talonstalker
Jul Gold Premier Club Member 2013

Talonstalker

Posts: 3,023Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Maiden†China said:
Talonstalker said:

2 Allying with someone like Bandos.

Does that one even need to be explained? come on. One who seeks to lay waste on every world or someone who uses chaos as a means for improvement, who's the worst here?

when the latter is actively invading the world with a horde of demons and the former isn't an active threat and offers to help you...
The latter was protecting his empire.
Zemouregal's memories.
"He was flush with his new divinity and his success on Infernus, and demonstrated his valour by declaring the entire former empire his domain and attacking almost all of the invading gods simultaneously, along with the remaining Zarosian loyalists. The God Wars then began in earnest."

If you kill someone/something the loot is yours. You wouldn't like it either if someone is taking a piece from your own pie without even asking?

Bandos kept switching sides, (if it's still canon?) I don't see a reason to let someone like him be a ally then. Also Bandos did this, dunno if it's the first thing he did when he arrived on Gielinor, but.

Memory 10
The war god points, and ork sergeants herd frenzied goblins into the blades of the Saradominists. Humans and icyene and centaurs may be taller and smarter, but they can still die as easily and the goblins are much more easily replaced.

The goblins do eventually falter, but then he sends in the orks, his heavy infantry, who march over the bodies of their smaller kin to engage the exhausted humans. From the rear lines the ourgs hurl massive boulders into the humans. He has found living siege engines to be far more effective than wooden ones. An hour later his victorious army leads the surviving humans away in chains.


Makes me wonder if Bandos used his T3 power to manipulate the god's to keep fighting or everyone was locked in place and desperate, hoping for a oppertunity.
"If you believe you can distance yourself from the harm you cause, you're deluding yourself. You're not some mindless tool. You're accountable. Your actions will catch up with you eventually." -Jedi Master Jun Seros; Swtor Bounty Hunter storyline.

10-Oct-2018 12:52:21

Bandosian

Bandosian

Posts: 893Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Talonstalker said:
Memory 10
The war god points, and ork sergeants herd frenzied goblins into the blades of the Saradominists. Humans and icyene and centaurs may be taller and smarter, but they can still die as easily and the goblins are much more easily replaced.

The goblins do eventually falter, but then he sends in the orks, his heavy infantry, who march over the bodies of their smaller kin to engage the exhausted humans. From the rear lines the ourgs hurl massive boulders into the humans. He has found living siege engines to be far more effective than wooden ones. An hour later his victorious army leads the surviving humans away in chains.


That's Bandos right there.
"I see a world where there is no need to flatter and deceive: where power is there to be taken by those with the strength to do so." - Bandos

12-Oct-2018 04:07:06

Hguoh
Mar Gold Premier Club Member 2014

Hguoh

Posts: 7,413Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Talonstalker said:
The latter was protecting his empire.
Zemouregal's memories.
"He was flush with his new divinity and his success on Infernus, and demonstrated his valour by declaring the entire former empire his domain and attacking almost all of the invading gods simultaneously, along with the remaining Zarosian loyalists. The God Wars then began in earnest."

If you kill someone/something the loot is yours. You wouldn't like it either if someone is taking a piece from your own pie without even asking?


To be fair, it wasn't Zamorak's empire because he left before taking it over from the Zarosians (killing the president doesn't put you in charge of the USA, you still need to bend the people to your will).

To put it in game terms, Zamorak soloed the boss without an instance. He accidentally clicked his emergency teleport before grabbing his loot. Other people came along after his loot became visible to others and scrambled for the items. It was a PvP area, so people started killing each other for the loot from Zamorak's kill. Then Zamorak finally made it back to the area with his friends and started slaughtering those present to get the drops that he had left behind.

Talonstalker said:
Bandos kept switching sides, (if it's still canon?) I don't see a reason to let someone like him be an ally then. Also Bandos did this, dunno if it's the first thing he did when he arrived on Gielinor, but.


I suppose it's the difference between a threat that wants total conquest and a threat that wants prolong conflict. The former poses an immediate threat to survival (necessitating immediate action), while the latter poses an eventual threat once the former is removed and only acts as an occasional impediment for now (and will eventually need to be addressed, just not necessarily now).

22-Nov-2018 04:33:38

Big†Storms
Dec Member 2005

Big†Storms

Posts: 3,855Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Let me start by saying that I see it as unwise to blindly follow anyone: instead one is better of following their own vision and cooperate with others when visions align (I guess this is best shown with Armadyl and Seren discussing the future of Tarddiad and their people).

As such, I do not really believe in an overall competition between gods on who is the 'best'. That being said, I do think some gods are more relatable than others, also making me more likely to help/cooperate with them.

Armadyl is known for being a young god that is naÔve and still makes regular mistakes, many of which you pointed out. He still has a rather impulsive nature and while he clearly tries to rationalize his actions, is still tempted by his emotions. Even though time has passed since the God Wars, this is not a significant amount for gods. Hence Armadyl, while he hopes he has learned from his past mistakes, still is prone to making more due to a lack of experience(killing Bandos and damaging the anima with his weapon can also be seen as one of these mistakes). The other gods (Saradomin, Zamorak, Bandos) love to taunt Armadyl with this.

Saradomin on the other hand has worded himself quite clearly:
" Am I human? Are you so certain? Godhood changes us, player. We gain power, but we lose so much more. I endured, while my family, my followers, entire races, succumbed to mortal death. Over time, an immortal is forced to detach themselves from mortal sensibilities, or forever endure the pain of loss. At what point can I consider myself human? What is humanity? Is it kindness? Mercy? Empathy? How can I empathise when I am no longer one of you? With all my power, I can not give you more time, only make your lives more comfortable and structured, so that you are at peace when death claims you. "
"One should not mindlessly follow gods or the godless:
follow
your
own
path
"
~Big Storms

22-Nov-2018 10:16:30

Big†Storms
Dec Member 2005

Big†Storms

Posts: 3,855Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Both are valid views. One might even argue that Saradomin his experience allows him to make the most well thought-out for his goals (wether you agree with his goals or not).

But this still means I can relate to Armadyl most, given that he still has his empathy towards mortals, even if that results in him making mistakes. I'd rather help him and try to guide him towards not making mistakes in pursuit of his (naÔve) goals, than play a game of chess with mortals on the line as Saradomin is doing (though at times this can be the best option). Though I'll admit Saradomin's experience is extremely valuable. In fact, Typing this I just realized Saradomin is like a combination of Ozymandias and Dr. Manhatten.
"One should not mindlessly follow gods or the godless:
follow
your
own
path
"
~Big Storms

22-Nov-2018 10:22:45 - Last edited on 22-Nov-2018 10:30:47 by Big†Storms

Hguoh
Mar Gold Premier Club Member 2014

Hguoh

Posts: 7,413Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Considering Doctor Manhattan is capable of doing basically anything, experiences every event in every possible timeline (or at least a significant number of them), and works to keep Earth on what he considers the best possible timeline, one could argue that Ozymandiasí actions were essentially approved by Manhattan.

With that understanding, one can easily argue that our big blue boys are a lot alike in terms of personality and goals, but only one of them has the omniscience (or something really close to it) to really back that up.

22-Nov-2018 15:14:44

Quick find code: 341-342-913-66051101Back to Top