Forums

Xau-Tak: God of the Horrors

Quick find code: 341-342-37-65701262

of 98
Wahisietel
Oct Gold Premier Club Member 2005

Wahisietel

Posts: 3,426Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Handkerchief said:
I definitely hope the elder gods aren't at all involved with Xau-Tak. The 'three pillars' of the 6th Age have been a total hodgepodge so far, all mixed up together (supposedly becoming more distinct going forward). It would be a welcome relief to have some heady storytelling that doesn't feature elder gods or dragonkin (or any other gods, honestly).


As for Xau-Tak sitting cozy in the core of the seasonal planet, it's not really a stretch. Wilson was pretty clear we shouldn't try to think of it as an entity, whether singular or plural. And, at the same time, we should probably listen to Guthix, cause what do we actually *know* about it?


(also - finally got mqc today! wooo!!!!)


I think the Elder Gods may be related to Xau-Tak somewhat... In the sense that they, along with Guthix and Seren, may be part of the reason why it hasn't done to Gielinor what it did to Renmark.

Is it a coincidence that Xau-Tak started influencing itself more right after Guthix died?

Renzler said:
When did Guthix ever address Xau Tak, memories or while alive? Where can I reference this dialogue? So he knows or knew of Xau Take


The dialogue that many think is about Xau-Tak is added to the "Elder Sword" memory in Memorial to Guthix after unknown conditions are met. I think it may be as simple as prestiging once.
You never were our brightest star, Khazard. 'Vermin slaughtered like lambs'? What does that even mean?

16-Mar-2017 11:42:18 - Last edited on 16-Mar-2017 11:42:28 by Wahisietel

Raleirosen
Jun Member 2019

Raleirosen

Posts: 5,069Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wahisietel said:
Is it a coincidence that Xau-Tak started influencing itself more right after Guthix died?
It could be that XT was affected by the Edicts, or maybe Guthix had some other power over it. But I think that's unlikely, it probably is coincidence.
Patrolling Lore FC almost makes you wish for a Great Revision.

16-Mar-2017 18:28:16

AesirWarrior

AesirWarrior

Posts: 1,054Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wahisietel said:

I think the Elder Gods may be related to Xau-Tak somewhat... In the sense that they, along with Guthix and Seren, may be part of the reason why it hasn't done to Gielinor what it did to Renmark.

Is it a coincidence that Xau-Tak started influencing itself more right after Guthix died?


Did it though?

In the pirate series Xau-Tak was most likely responsible for quite a few "ressurections" and the Skeletal Horror. In the 6th age we've really only found out more about it.I don't think it has actually become more active. V speaks of sensing Xau-Tak, but he hasn't been on Gielinor for millenia anyway, and Death at Sea was written in the 2nd age. The most notable 6th age "Incident" is probably the posessed Cave Goblin, but, seeing as though it's the first time we enter the afterlife anyway, it can't really be compared to anything. For all we know Xau-Tak has always been capable of influencing the souls of the dead, and only spoke once we arrived.

--------------
Anyway...

I believe this Hermit crab dialogue has already been quoted in this thread, but it gains new meaning after the Renmark revelation:


Hermit crab: Clatterclatter[sic] click clatter clack click clatter clatter click... (You know, this place is too dry, but at least I don't have to worry about giant stone hands.)
Player: Giant stone what?
Hermit crab: Clickclack! Clatter clack clack clatter click clack clack. (I can't tell you! Last time I tried I was locked in an aquarium by a unicorn-man.)

So it seems like the Centaurs are aware that Xau-Tak corrupted their world, and it looks like something they want to forget.
-
I have noticed your kind does tend to blindly stumble forward towards danger simply because it exists. What is your word for that?
- We call it being a hero.

16-Mar-2017 22:07:37 - Last edited on 16-Mar-2017 22:08:27 by AesirWarrior

Wahisietel
Oct Gold Premier Club Member 2005

Wahisietel

Posts: 3,426Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
AesirWarrior said:

I believe this Hermit crab dialogue has already been quoted in this thread, but it gains new meaning after the Renmark revelation:


Hermit crab: Clatterclatter[sic] click clatter clack click clatter clatter click... (You know, this place is too dry, but at least I don't have to worry about giant stone hands.)
Player: Giant stone what?
Hermit crab: Clickclack! Clatter clack clack clatter click clack clack. (I can't tell you! Last time I tried I was locked in an aquarium by a unicorn-man.)

So it seems like the Centaurs are aware that Xau-Tak corrupted their world, and it looks like something they want to forget.


IT ALL COMES TOGETHER
You never were our brightest star, Khazard. 'Vermin slaughtered like lambs'? What does that even mean?

16-Mar-2017 23:47:21

AesirWarrior

AesirWarrior

Posts: 1,054Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
AesirWarrior said:
...

I believe this Hermit crab dialogue has already been quoted in this thread, but it gains new meaning after the Renmark revelation:


Hermit crab: Clatterclatter[sic] click clatter clack click clatter clatter click... (You know, this place is too dry, but at least I don't have to worry about giant stone hands.)
Player: Giant stone what?
Hermit crab: Clickclack! Clatter clack clack clatter click clack clack. (I can't tell you! Last time I tried I was locked in an aquarium by a unicorn-man.)

So it seems like the Centaurs are aware that Xau-Tak corrupted their world, and it looks like something they want to forget.



While not directly related to Xau-Tak I love that this reveal also makes this outdated lore techbically correct now

Queen of Snow:

The Land of Snow was created aeons ago by Guthix, as part of his balancing of the world. The coldness of this place counteracts the heat of the great deserts and volcanoes of others; ensuring the correct balance of hot and cold
-
I have noticed your kind does tend to blindly stumble forward towards danger simply because it exists. What is your word for that?
- We call it being a hero.

17-Mar-2017 01:52:09

Rifleavenger

Rifleavenger

Posts: 1,381Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lego Miester said:
Honestly your dedication to this thread is probably more concern for continuity than Jagex has most of the time. :P


Probably? Jagex forgets entire barrows brothers exist and can't even get models consistent. Hazeel inexplicably rejuvenating between Dishonour Amoung Thieves and Children of Mah (if you opposed him in Hazeel Cult) comes to mind. Tons of examples with the Mahjarrat (Korchei's Troubles uses the newest models, but then you go back to RotM models for some until Children of Mah). Making a joke about Zanik's old model and that ugly The Mighty Fall model in Gower Quest, which falls flat because both are still in the game anyways!

And that doesn't even touch what happens when a departed writer's work is given to someone else and the story does a 90 degree turn. That's how we got freaking Salt in the Wound.

I can only hope that since the person behind Xau-Tak is a long time employee, it will have a lot of care and consistency as opposed to the quest lines Jagex played hot potato with.

17-Mar-2017 15:24:34 - Last edited on 17-Mar-2017 15:24:48 by Rifleavenger

Wahisietel
Oct Gold Premier Club Member 2005

Wahisietel

Posts: 3,426Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Rifleavenger said:

I can only hope that since the person behind Xau-Tak is a long time employee, it will have a lot of care and consistency as opposed to the quest lines Jagex played hot potato with.


Well I may have some bad news for you...
You never were our brightest star, Khazard. 'Vermin slaughtered like lambs'? What does that even mean?

17-Mar-2017 17:35:35

Rifleavenger

Rifleavenger

Posts: 1,381Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wahisietel said:
Rifleavenger said:

I can only hope that since the person behind Xau-Tak is a long time employee, it will have a lot of care and consistency as opposed to the quest lines Jagex played hot potato with.


Well I may have some bad news for you...


In that case I expect bad Cthulu expy that hits every note of how not to do Lovecraft, and dies in the quest it's formally introduced in.

Now whatever Jagex will do should exceed my expectations.

17-Mar-2017 20:15:58

Lord Pyro I
Nov Member 2018

Lord Pyro I

Posts: 3,900Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It just occurred to me that thanks to the "Elder Sword" memory, we now know that Guthix wasn't able to kill Xau-Tak even while wielding an elder god weapon.

Um... What the hell is it gunna take to kill this thing?
"The greatest endeavors are achieved because of their selfless intent"
#WarIsComing

17-Mar-2017 22:45:46

Quick find code: 341-342-37-65701262Back to Top