Forums

The net is closing in

Quick find code: 366-367-206-66046266

of 30
Dilbert2001
Jun Gold Premier Club Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 7,301Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"Itĺs been brought to our attention that some members of the Old School RuneScape community, especially those with a large social influence, have begun associating themselves with and promoting 3rd party websites that encourage gambling.

It is often that these activities undermine the integrity of the community, violate our user agreements, prey on consumers, are heavily involved in real world trade and could be unlawful. We want to ensure that the Old School community is correctly represented by its content creators and as such, weĺll be working closely with them to begin updating our community guidelines so that itĺs clear weĺll no longer work with any individual who participates, advertises, or is associated with any type of Gambling interests for real or digital currencies.

In addition to this, any individual who is found to be participating, advertising, or is associated with any type of Gambling interests for real or digital currencies via RuneScape may lead to their accounts being permanently banned from our services."


https://www.reddit.com/r/2007scape/comments/99omj1/in_relation_to_recent_events/

Yes, that's right, the net is closing in... but not on TH or loot boxes, but absolutely on 3rd party offsite gambling, which is not just illegal according to real world living and breathing governments, but also real world trading and violation to Jagex's EULA.

03-Dec-2018 18:03:32 - Last edited on 03-Dec-2018 18:06:04 by Dilbert2001

Caipher
Nov Gold Premier Club Member 2017

Caipher

Posts: 687Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Stopped reading when you claimed RuneScape is P2W. What, exactly, qualifies as 'winning' in this game? Getting to a 99 with keys? Buying your way to 120/200m? Buying bonds for a staff of sliske? I literally dont understand why people care so much about crusading over MTX. It gives people who have less time a method of saving time. It gives people a more reasonable method of training insufferable skills like 120 slayer (my personal opinion -- feel free to flame me, idm).

There is no 'winning' in RuneScape. The entire premise of RuneScape is the adventure of achieving your goals, whether that be finishing all the quests, final boss, comp, etc...

As for the whole gambling argument, I do not know enough to comment. From my perspective, which isn't particularly valuable as I just stated, I do not see keys as gambling.
"The first and greatest victory is to conquer yourself; to be conquered by yourself is of all things most shameful and vile."~Plato~

03-Dec-2018 20:30:12

UrekMazino
Nov Gold Premier Club Member 2015

UrekMazino

Posts: 4,658Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
p2w is just a general term, not to be taken literally all the time. In rs, progress is the most valued aspect, and thus any way to increase progress by simply paying with real money can be considered p2w. ░l||l░ Modest Skillers T7 Citadel | Skilling clan recruiting players. ░l||l░
Ľ´í¸í´Ľ Cwar United for CW games/Ardy task/Trim req. Ľ´í¸í´Ľ
120 Summoning Familiar ideas.

04-Dec-2018 07:55:51

NeveráRIP

NeveráRIP

Posts: 751Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^ membership is pau to win than.

And as long as I've been playing, since like 2004, runescape has had member and pay to win.

It was like this when u started playing. Why complain now?
GOT BLADES?

04-Dec-2018 14:20:38

NeveráRIP

NeveráRIP

Posts: 751Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Who cares! The world is about to go completely off line anyway because sooks can't handle the truth.

U think u're owed something from jagex? Let me tell u homie, if they owe u, they owe me 100*. I've been here since RSC. And I'm still here most days. I have a ranger mage pure that is 12+ yrs old.... Do u know what that means? The entire osrs are noobs to me. They all want what I had 12+ yrs ago now in osrs. They think they're sooo special! I was like the very first summer tank too. I grinded my face off quite literally to aquire a maxed summer tank at the beginning. It took me many hours of stupid amounts of daily playing, during trade restrictions might I add*. I have a completely maxed main too which is pre th.

Jagex doesn't owe me. Jagex doesn't owe u. Runescape is not a competition and if it were, none of y'all have the history I have.

I'm not saying I'm better than u (my life is pretty messes up), but I am certainly better than most all people at playing rs (maybe not nowadays, because th cured me of a sickness. A sickness I had thinking runescape has meaning when all along it didn't. Thank you th).

Learn from my mistakes. Embrace th. Understand that the world, the real life world that we live in is "work to win!" Runescape was counter that - rs used to be no life to win. I am extremely pleased that rs fits better now in the real world, as it is a work IRL to win game.

That's the lesson I learned - work to win. And I haven't looked back for years. I'm making bigger achievements in real life now as well as moving my accounts forword much more quickly.

Th is not gambling.
Th is work to win.

Osrs is a sickness.
GOT BLADES?

04-Dec-2018 14:33:08 - Last edited on 04-Dec-2018 14:55:52 by NeveráRIP

Dilbert2001
Jun Gold Premier Club Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 7,301Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"Th is not gambling.
Th is work to win."


To me TH is "gambling" as much as playing Monopoly with your friends and family members for canides is "gambling".

In Barbarian Assault, Jagex actually use the word "gamble" for a feature which allows us to risk our rewards for something else, but make no mistakes, it is the same kind of "gamble" Jagex allow us to re-roll our rewards from the Clue Scroll and Raid loot boxes.

In all these cases, the word "gamble" is simply used as an alternative to "risk", "chance", etc.

Loot boxes without a way to cash out for real world tangible assets is not illegal gambling, TH is not illegal gambling. All cases closed.

As for the pay-to-win complaints... who really care if the other players win or lose as long as I am always the winner having the most fun out of the
entertainment
in the game we called Runescape? At least, the real world governments don't give a flying sh!t about pay-to-win or microtransactions as the real world is always 100% pay-to-win, and the stakes to be won in the real world are tangible assets with legal implications too.

04-Dec-2018 17:24:32

Cept
Sep Gold Premier Club Member 2012

Cept

Posts: 19,786Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Caipher said:
It gives people a more reasonable method of training insufferable skills like 120 slayer (my personal opinion -- feel free to flame me, idm).


Gotta' agree here. Slayer sucks. Dunno' why everyone blows their load over training it all the time. The only good task is an AFK task. I've got my last few levels from Slayer from all the XP lamps, alone. It was foolish to bring the skill to 120 simply to encourage more PvM and Bossing. Slayer didn't need to be associated. This game needs alot of work. New content (using new loosely) should be far from a priority, nowadays. The many patch weeks this year were great in the sense of fixes, but it was instead minimal and used as an excuse in development alongside Runefest and Mobile. That's all a different story, though.

I'm not necessarily a fan of MTX, either. But it's a trend for companies and it's not going anywhere, ever, put bluntly and obviously. Play the game how you want, enjoy it however you want, cherish whatever accomplishments and memories you make from it. Even competition should be fun, to an extent. Everyone needs to get bigger problems irl, imo.
Ľ RS3: Maxed, 5 200M's, 13 120's, 2B+ Total EXP, Christmas cracker Baby troll | OSRS: 5 99's Ľ
Ľ Forums: 09 Ex-Forum Moderator, ~20,000 Postcount | Other: 15+ Year veteran, Name-change addict Ľ

09-Dec-2018 01:20:40

IáLackáHeart
May Gold Premier Club Member 2016

IáLackáHeart

Posts: 720Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Cept said:
Caipher said:
It gives people a more reasonable method of training insufferable skills like 120 slayer (my personal opinion -- feel free to flame me, idm).


Gotta' agree here. Slayer sucks. Dunno' why everyone blows their load over training it all the time. The only good task is an AFK task. I've got my last few levels from Slayer from all the XP lamps, alone. It was foolish to bring the skill to 120 simply to encourage more PvM and Bossing. Slayer didn't need to be associated. This game needs alot of work. New content (using new loosely) should be far from a priority, nowadays. The many patch weeks this year were great in the sense of fixes, but it was instead minimal and used as an excuse in development alongside Runefest and Mobile. That's all a different story, though.

I'm not necessarily a fan of MTX, either. But it's a trend for companies and it's not going anywhere, ever, put bluntly and obviously. Play the game how you want, enjoy it however you want, cherish whatever accomplishments and memories you make from it. Even competition should be fun, to an extent. Everyone needs to get bigger problems irl, imo.

Yeah and you wonder why that is? that skill like slayer, something that skillers dont enjoy is turned to 120 skill with poor excuse of slayer monsters from 99-120. To make you spend money for your comp cape ofc.

11-Dec-2018 13:11:05 - Last edited on 11-Dec-2018 13:11:39 by IáLackáHeart

Dilbert2001
Jun Gold Premier Club Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 7,301Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
IáLackáHeart said:
Cept said:
Caipher said:
It gives people a more reasonable method of training insufferable skills like 120 slayer (my personal opinion -- feel free to flame me, idm).


Gotta' agree here. Slayer sucks. Dunno' why everyone blows their load over training it all the time. The only good task is an AFK task. I've got my last few levels from Slayer from all the XP lamps, alone. It was foolish to bring the skill to 120 simply to encourage more PvM and Bossing. Slayer didn't need to be associated. This game needs alot of work. New content (using new loosely) should be far from a priority, nowadays. The many patch weeks this year were great in the sense of fixes, but it was instead minimal and used as an excuse in development alongside Runefest and Mobile. That's all a different story, though.

I'm not necessarily a fan of MTX, either. But it's a trend for companies and it's not going anywhere, ever, put bluntly and obviously. Play the game how you want, enjoy it however you want, cherish whatever accomplishments and memories you make from it. Even competition should be fun, to an extent. Everyone needs to get bigger problems irl, imo.

Yeah and you wonder why that is? that skill like slayer, something that skillers dont enjoy is turned to 120 skill with poor excuse of slayer monsters from 99-120. To make you spend money for your comp cape ofc.


If you don't enjoy Slayer you don't need to do it, but you will just not be able to get to level 120 Slayer. You will never get your comp cape even without xp lamps anyway (note: xp lamps from all game features, not just xp lamps and such from TH).

Experience lamps just give non-slayers a way to get the comp cape they will never get otherwise. It is only a positive option to them.

11-Dec-2018 14:15:16

Quick find code: 366-367-206-66046266Back to Top