Forums

Dead Content

Quick find code: 15-16-161-66087845

of 2
Alktenalfh
Aug Member 2019

Alktenalfh

Posts: 305Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I like the mining and smithing updates overall, but the problem is they are going to create dead content. Now that you can create high-leveled melee armor so easily, a lot of the old options are going to be useless. Dragon weapons and armor are going to become absolutely obsolete. Noxious weapons, drygore equipment, barrows equipment, bandos armor, and a whole slew of other valuable drops are going to become valueless. And of course, it is going to be far more difficult and far more expensive to obtain good weapons and armor for rangers and mages than it is for warriors (although this might actually be a good thing because melee needs an advantage of some sort over the other two, because the DPS and armor are the same except melee has no range and has to train two skills instead of one).
It's cool to see that mining and smithing are going to finally be useful, but it will be sad to see a lot of these cool weapons and drops become dead content.

06-Mar-2019 02:42:45

Dilbert2001
Jun Gold Premier Club Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 9,568Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dragon equipment has been alchs only for a looooonnnnggg time already. M&S Rework does nothing to it.

How are weapons going to be obsolete? No new endgame smithable weapons came out of M&S Rework. Perhaps you should check the GE historical price data. Noxious weapons have been going up gradually the last 6 months.

06-Mar-2019 03:09:22

A Vitalis
Mar Gold Premier Club Member 2015

A Vitalis

Posts: 1,073Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Smithable equipment is tank gear, isn't augmentable, and has lower stats than non-smithable equipment of the same tier. It has created dead content, but the dead content is the smithable gear, not the existing non-smithable gear.

Also Melee is not the same DPS as the other styles. Melee abilities have higher average damage values, the best DoT abilities, and Berserk is amazing. Melee has higher DPS than Mage without 4TAA/Vuln and blows Ranged out of the water. Right now Ranged is the weakest style, although really not by much. Magic has lower base DPS than Melee but more utility with Vuln and other debuffs, and can make up for the lost DPS with 4TAA.

The truth is you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin'. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

06-Mar-2019 03:28:37 - Last edited on 06-Mar-2019 03:32:01 by A Vitalis

Dilbert2001
Jun Gold Premier Club Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 9,568Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A Vitalis said:
Smithable equipment is tank gear, isn't augmentable, and has lower stats than non-smithable equipment of the same tier. It has created dead content, but the dead content is the smithable gear, not the existing non-smithable gear.


Actually TMW is awesome. Not just the set bonus is great but it is non-degradable on slayer and reaper assignements. It won't be "dead content" for a while, or ever.

06-Mar-2019 04:29:43

A Vitalis
Mar Gold Premier Club Member 2015

A Vitalis

Posts: 1,073Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dilbert2001 said:
A Vitalis said:
Smithable equipment is tank gear, isn't augmentable, and has lower stats than non-smithable equipment of the same tier. It has created dead content, but the dead content is the smithable gear, not the existing non-smithable gear.


Actually TMW is awesome. Not just the set bonus is great but it is non-degradable on slayer and reaper assignements. It won't be "dead content" for a while, or ever.


TMW is the exception, I'm referring to the linear metal tiers (Elder Rune, Bane, etc). TMW isn't tank gear, is augmentable, and has normal stats, so none of the things I mentioned even apply to it.

TMW also isn't purely smithable, it requires that you break down non-smithable items in order to make.

The truth is you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin'. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

06-Mar-2019 04:44:48

A Vitalis
Mar Gold Premier Club Member 2015

A Vitalis

Posts: 1,073Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
-double post lmao trash forums-
The truth is you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin'. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

06-Mar-2019 04:44:49 - Last edited on 06-Mar-2019 05:20:22 by A Vitalis

KijinSeija

KijinSeija

Posts: 720Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Actually, we need to make all player made armours and weapons the exact level as stated on the tin.

If it’s level 90, you goddamn well need to make it level 90 not level 85.
~ The way you reject is the way that I choose
Since I know it will drive you insane! ~
- Master of Reverse Ideology

06-Mar-2019 05:17:32

KijinSeija

KijinSeija

Posts: 720Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A Vitalis said:
Dilbert2001 said:
A Vitalis said:
Smithable equipment is tank gear, isn't augmentable, and has lower stats than non-smithable equipment of the same tier. It has created dead content, but the dead content is the smithable gear, not the existing non-smithable gear.


Actually TMW is awesome. Not just the set bonus is great but it is non-degradable on slayer and reaper assignements. It won't be "dead content" for a while, or ever.


TMW is the exception, I'm referring to the linear metal tiers (Elder Rune, Bane, etc). TMW isn't tank gear, is augmentable, and has normal stats, so none of the things I mentioned even apply to it.

TMW also isn't purely smithable, it requires that you break down non-smithable items in order to make, which protects the value of those items.


Normal masterwork says hi.
~ The way you reject is the way that I choose
Since I know it will drive you insane! ~
- Master of Reverse Ideology

06-Mar-2019 05:18:38

Zparanoid
Apr Member 2003

Zparanoid

Posts: 3,945Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Melee tank sets were generally useless prior to the M&S update, and remain so. So in that aspect their utility hasn't changed.

That's not the fault of the M&S update, but rather insufficient variety in combat situations, making it preferable to use DPS armor rather than tank armor when meleeing.

Noxious weapons have their value protected (sort of) by the biting3 perk, and the scythe is still the best in game weapon in the halberd class, so retains a specialist use hence value.
The other examples given such as dragon and bandos armor held minimal value either before or after the update.

07-Mar-2019 02:32:37 - Last edited on 07-Mar-2019 02:35:46 by Zparanoid

Quick find code: 15-16-161-66087845Back to Top