Forums

Aubury's shop: Why The Slums?

Quick find code: 341-342-654-65799740

of 4
AesirWarrior
Nov Member 2017

AesirWarrior

Posts: 1,051Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Simple question, why is Aubury's Rune Shop in Varrock's slums? Magic has been the most valuable commodity to humans in all of Gielinor for the last age or so. Why would Varrock's only rune store be in the slums? Wouldn't it make more sense if it was in the northern part of the city alongside The Museum and The Saradominist Church?

'Tis a minor thing, I know, but it's interesting! ... Kind of.

06-Jun-2016 17:34:12

ZAmorakZaros
Apr Gold Premier Club Member 2013

ZAmorakZaros

Posts: 7,545Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
He has so few customers now that runecrafting has been rediscovered?

Or Varrock has very few noob mages? or maybe because staffs can replace runes, people do not want his. Especially since some runes are now useless
NO
I do not ship ZamorakxZaros.
I follow them. And Marimbo, the best t5 god.

06-Jun-2016 17:45:14 - Last edited on 06-Jun-2016 17:47:53 by ZAmorakZaros

ZAmorakZaros
Apr Gold Premier Club Member 2013

ZAmorakZaros

Posts: 7,545Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ancient Drew said:
Perhaps he predicted that they would build the Grand Exchange in the north, and wanted to go somewhere with less competition?

Or maybe that makes him even more unpopular?
NO
I do not ship ZamorakxZaros.
I follow them. And Marimbo, the best t5 god.

06-Jun-2016 17:49:40

AesirWarrior
Nov Member 2017

AesirWarrior

Posts: 1,051Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
ZAmorakZaros said:
He has so few customers now that runecrafting has been rediscovered?


As of 2012 the secret of Runecrafting was never lost in the first place. The wizards of The Old Tower (well, the tower wasn't built yet, but you get the point) discovered the essence mine at the dawn of the 5th age and they've known how to create runes ever since.

06-Jun-2016 17:51:30 - Last edited on 06-Jun-2016 17:51:59 by AesirWarrior

ZAmorakZaros
Apr Gold Premier Club Member 2013

ZAmorakZaros

Posts: 7,545Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
AesirWarrior said:
ZAmorakZaros said:
He has so few customers now that runecrafting has been rediscovered?


As of 2012 the secret of Runecrafting was never lost in the first place. The wizards of The Old Tower (well, the tower wasn't built yet, but you get the point) discovered the essence mine at the dawn of the 5th age and they've known how to create runes ever since.

It has been lost my friend. It was lost when fremmies went on an anti-runecrafting rampage. and then it was rediscovered at the start of fifth age
NO
I do not ship ZamorakxZaros.
I follow them. And Marimbo, the best t5 god.

06-Jun-2016 18:05:14

AesirWarrior
Nov Member 2017

AesirWarrior

Posts: 1,051Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
ZAmorakZaros said:
AesirWarrior said:
ZAmorakZaros said:
He has so few customers now that runecrafting has been rediscovered?


As of 2012 the secret of Runecrafting was never lost in the first place. The wizards of The Old Tower (well, the tower wasn't built yet, but you get the point) discovered the essence mine at the dawn of the 5th age and they've known how to create runes ever since.

It has been lost my friend. It was lost when fremmies went on an anti-runecrafting rampage. and then it was rediscovered at the start of fifth age


The fremenik anti-runecrafting rampage was *in* the 5th age.

EDIT: Between the year 42 and 62 of the 5th age to be exact.

06-Jun-2016 18:05:57 - Last edited on 06-Jun-2016 18:07:17 by AesirWarrior

sir eos lee

sir eos lee

Posts: 11,942Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
- Lower Rent or he got it on the cheap
- He signed a really bad/dumb lease agreement
- He's a mage/runecrafter, probably not the most adept person at business
- Varrock may have had plans on the books for ages for an urban renewal project at the time Aubury set up shop , but it never came to pass


In the Church Novels (Siege of Falador, Return to Canifis, Legacy of blood), after Kara Meir's mage friend gets expelled from the Wizards Tower, we learn Aubury's unofficial role:
He handles/coordinates rogue mages who basically do off the books or black ops style missions for kingdoms and Wizard's Tower, when the Tower couldn't afford to send their young robed mages out to do.

By being in the seedier part of town, it made it easier for such mages to pass in and out.

06-Jun-2016 18:29:26

Quick find code: 341-342-654-65799740Back to Top