Forums

[RP] Into The Fire

Quick find code: 49-50-186-65639574

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Name: Conleth Folius

Age: 27

Race: Human

Gender: Male

Occupation: Birdmaster/scout

Appearance: Conleth stands at just over average height, by maybe half an inch or so, also having a relatively thin build. His skin is slightly pale, from spending most of his time under cover of trees and usually wearing his hood up. He has light, almost greyish brown hair which is cut short. Long, thin, oddly straight eyebrows sit over sky blue eyes.

Attire: Conleth is almost always seen wearing his cloak, usually with the hood up. It is a dull, forest green colour, with a brown trim. Underneath this, he wears a dark green tunic and brown trousers, along with a plain brown leather belt and boots. He also has some very light armour, consisting of leather shin guards and leather gauntlets on both arms, which are worn even over the cloak. Add a pair of leather shoulder pads, and that’s about it for armour.

Weapons: Birds. Yes, I said birds. Conleth is very skilled with birds, and can train them to carry out various tasks. This isn’t magic, he’s just…very good at training birds. He usually brings a red kite named Cyrus around with him, due to its balance of skills. It even has a small metal helmet and steel talon blades. He seems to think this is rather adorable. Aside from this, he has a few other, inconspicuous birds shadowing him, which act like scouts. Of course, he does have a few actual weapons for fighting. He has an assortment of six throwing knives of varying lengths, and a couple of small hunting daggers in case of close range attacks. That said, his main skill is not his strength but his speed and agility, which he can use to avoid attacks easily (although weathering them and dishing them out is another thing entirely). He does have good aim, though.

Personality: He usually keeps to himself, and seems rather cautious. He also has an annoying habit of keeping constant watch over whatever area he’s in.

12-Jun-2015 21:02:23

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Short History: Conleth was a scout for a nomadic trading caravan. After travelling to inspect some of the surrounding areas, he ran into some trouble in one of the forests and ended up completely isolated from the others, now in Engelion.

Other: Expecting Xiang? :P

12-Jun-2015 21:02:40

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The Farmlands (Into the fire)

The spell might allow them to see more than they were expecting.

In the forest, near the treeline, there was a blur of movement dancing through the branches. A figure leaped from tree to tree through the woods, just where the river was clearly in sight. Perhaps the sound of conflict up ahead had alerted them, or perhaps they’d learned from some other source, but whatever the reason the figure was approaching the battle.

It was at this point when, much to the mysterious being’s inconvenience, someone decided to shoot a magical flaming arrow at the tree he was about to jump onto.

The concealed figure skidded to a halt, almost losing his balance. A moment later, a man in a billowing green cloak shot out of the forest, landing lightly on the wall of the bridge, and continuing to sprint across it, jumping off and landing on the side opposite the troll, right next to the group. After glancing at them, he quickly decided that they were probably all on the same side, at least in the situation they were. Reaching down he took out two throwing knives. Close range would not work if the troll was still on fire. Fortunately, it seemed one of their mages was attempting to remove this obstacle. With any luck, he’d be able to engage it close-up, and then hit it with throwing knives when the creature looked almost finished.

That is, if they got that far…

---

((I hope this is OK, I don’t know what you were planning to do with the forest area but I assume you can jump in the trees, since the squirrels were doing it. I couldn’t really think of a better way to introduce him, since he normally sticks to forested areas.))

18-Jul-2015 17:24:12 - Last edited on 18-Jul-2015 17:24:25 by Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Conleth barely hesitated.

“I’ll help take care of whatever’s in that forest!” He shouted, partly to the one who had begun making his way toward the boat. With any luck, the river being temporarily removed would have slowed them down enough for him to help take care of them once the more immediate threat had been dealt with.

Dashing straight towards the bridge, Conleth leaped onto the wall opposite the side the troll was on and crossed over, jumping up into one of the lower branches of a tree that was yet to ignite.

Climbing higher into the forest, he swung from tree to tree, carefully avoiding areas already aflame, until the archers were in sight.

Falling down from the upper branches, he drove his dagger into one, taking them by surprise. As they paused in shock, their targets across the bridge may have time to find a decent shelter that they could still attack from.

Pulling his dagger out of the brigand, he backed away into the trees, where he had the advantage. Unfortunately, they were on fire, meaning he had to avoid both the flames and the arrows, and quite possibly flaming arrows. ~this is going to be so much fun~ he though sarcastically to himself.

---

(Is that OK? I'm just worried about accidentally contradicting something or controlling enemies or the environment when I shouldn't.)

21-Jul-2015 20:30:38

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The Bridge

Conleth tried to shut the sounds of battle from nearer the river out of his head, focusing on his immediate enemies. It looked like he was the only one facing them, the other fighters presumably occupied by the troll; he was not aware that more brigands were currently attacking them.

A few of the archers had resorted to using their arrows as close ranged weapons. This may have been a mistake, as suddenly something brown and feathery darted past one of them. The end of the arrow fell to the ground lazily.

At this point, Conleth noticed a strange presence, as if someone was trying to see into his mind. This must have been some kind of spell, and since none of the brigands were mages, it would have to be one of the others he’d briefly encountered. Assuming they wanted to know why he was here or something, he gave permission, since no-one was after him, at least as far as he knew.

Suddenly he knew exactly where all of his opponents were. Rather than dwell on how this was happening he chose to act, leaping out of the trees and knocking the one whose arrow had just broken on the head, attempting to knock him out.

Whatever had foiled the brigand’s attempt’s before struck another time, hitting another’s quiver and sending his arrows scattered across the ground. While he was distracted, Conleth made an attempt to knock this one out as well, before jumping back toward the trees, several arrows narrowly missed him, and one cut his cheek painfully. He clutched the wound and ran a few metres into the forest where he could avoid attacks more easily.

He decided to try and see what this vision ability allowed him to do. Looking around, he saw that yet another group was attacking the travellers he’d seen before, and they were still occupied with the troll. He couldn’t take all of these bandits at once, and what was more, they were starting to approach. He quickly leapt up onto the first branch of the tree, climbing a few metres higher.

02-Sep-2015 17:17:25

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Holding his hand out, a large red kite landed on his outstretched arm. After a brief exchange of incomprehensible noises, the bird took off, soaring above the treetops then diving gracefully into the thick of the woods.

Conleth hopped from branch to branch the leapt down onto the ground, on the road just near the bridge. The sound of the landing would hopefully be enough to make the bandits turn their heads toward him and come after him. He then ran straight towards the bridge, Hoping to lure the brigands into the open, gesturing frantically to any fighter on the bridge to get out of the way.

At the same time, the kite burst out from the treeline, right past the troll’s face. It looped around, flapped its wings, and generally made itself a nuisance.

If this plan worked, then hopefully he would be able to lure the bandits from the woods out onto the bridge, and get them and the troll to fight each other.

02-Sep-2015 17:17:44

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Farmlands

Conleth had just finished luring the bandits out of the woods as he turned to see if his plan had worked.

It hadn't.

In a display that made him wince, the troll simply collapsed in on itself like a deflated pig's bladder, and then Conleth suddenly realized something. Not only had he gotten the bandits to attack this party at full force, most of them were quite weakened.

"Oh, COME ON!" he shouted in exasperation, as the falcon flew out of the troll's remains.

Luckily, the kite soon recovered, and began swooping down, distracting and disarming the bandits.

Conleth, meanwhile, decided he ought to take a more defensive stance, and ran into the fray, watching the enemies carefully. if they tried to attack any of the other fighters, he would attempt to defend them and also attack said brigand.

18-Sep-2015 19:09:41

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The Farmlands

The battle was over more quickly than Conleth had expected; however, there was not time to dwell on the matter. It wasn’t like he could complain, anyway. After looking quickly at the pile of skin that was once the troll, and remembering the way one of the fighters had slaughtered their opponents, he quickly turned around and was violently sick over the edge of the bridge.

Although, he did take a few seconds to observe these strangers. They certainly seemed like a strange group, and he had a nagging suspicion they were not all just humans and dwarves. A warrior woman whose face was concealed by an iron mask, who seemed to be their leader, then approached him. The grotesque visage was made even more horrifying by the various bits of people stuck on it. Conleth struggled not to gag. What was she saying? Oh, she was demanding he explain himself.

Well, that made sense. After all, he had sort of come out of nowhere, plus there was the blunder with the troll and the brigands.

*I did*’t mean any harm!” he began, holding his hands up defensively, “Believe me or not, but I’m sort of lost. Well, very lost. See, I was investigating this forest near a town, which had been overrun by some menace…and, we all got split up by some witch’s spell or something alike. I found myself in the middle of nowhere, and now I’m stuck in a completely different land. Oh, and my name’s Conleth.” The kite then picked the most inconvenient time to land on its owner’s shoulder.

29-Sep-2015 19:24:36

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The Farmlands (Road to Hamstead)

“Well, simply chasing perilous adventure isn’t exactly a pastime of mine,” Conleth replied to the masked warrior “But if there’s a threat that needs to be dealt with, I’m more than willing to join you.” This was followed shortly by an anomalous pun from one of the party members, and by some incident of comic timing, the kite flew down and landed on his shoulder simultaneously. “Er…thanks.” He said dryly.

From overhearing various conversations about half non-humans and seeing someone write in the air of all things, he concluded that this was not a normal group of people. Still, they hadn’t killed him on the spot, so he guessed they could probably be trusted.

Walking up at the front like he’d been told, he released the bird into the air where it flew 10 metres or so above him, scouring the landscape (but remaining within everyone else’s sight, to avoid suspicion).

Eventually, they finished crossing the farmlands as it began to get dark, reaching what looked like a busy town. He was slightly unnerved by the comments about recent events from one of the party members, but he announced that he was leaving anyway and soon disappeared. He did*’t seem like a reliable source anyway.

He was asked to go and help get the boat. He was starting to realise that the party leader wasn’t letting him out of her sight; he supposed they had the right to be suspicious. He responded with a quiet nod and followed.

15-Oct-2015 13:04:11

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The Docks (Into The Fire)

Conleth followed cautiously. He wasn't so much worried about stirring suspicion from the other people around the town so much as the other people in this travelling party, specifically their leader. So far the day had been chaotic to say the least and he'd been on edge walking all the way to the town. Now he was starting to relax a little, but that only made matters worse; the full shock from the fight and what had happened was sinking in, which usually resulted in him losing his breakfast. Luckily, he didn't feel ill or sick at present.

At this point he was asked abut his previous mission.

"Er...well, I was supposed to be investigating a forest where some menace was lurking, or something. Someone or something cast some kind of spell, and I ended up in a completely different part of the world." He didn't see any need to include all the details of what happened.

Suddenly he darted over to some bushes, keeled over, gagging, then walked back looking visibly less tense.

"Er...sorry, that usually happens immediately after a battle ends."

22-Oct-2015 18:35:28

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Between Hamstead docks and the B&B

Conleth felt a little awkward, as he'd gotten used to his slight problem, having barely interacted with another human being for so long, let alone fought alongside others. The sight of the deflated troll had been particularly uncomfortable.

On the way back, the group leader gave him a more in-depth explanation of what they were up against. It didn't sound friendly, not to mention he didn't have much experience of magic, and so didn't know quite how to deal with it. She also warned him to be cautious of Rovaan. The description sounded familiar, then he remembered.

"The one that looks slightly like a wolf? Was he one of the two whose appearance changed during the battle? I didn't see much of it, so I assumed it was some form of magic or enchantment." While it may be hard to believe, Conleth was talking right now more than he usually ever did. Then again, he hadn't had a substantial conversation for months.

At this point, he made a quiet, high pitched noise that sounded like a birdsong. A small, brown bird flew over from seemingly nowhere and landed on his shoulder just next to the kite. There was an exchange of peculiar sounds between the three, and the sparrow flew off, heading toward the B&B where it would observe the happenings in the main room from one of the windows. No-one ever suspects a sparrow.

Meanwhile, something from the conversation resurfaced in is mind. "Did you say your coven? That's where you're from? I suppose that's how you know so much about this."

After a while, it flew back, and there was another exchange. Conleth's face took on a combination of curiosity and concern.

"There's someone else back at the inn, talking with them. Should I send messages to the others?"

04-Nov-2015 20:26:37

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hamstead B&B

Conleth nodded, before sending off two sparrows, which would attempt to find the other member of the party. If they were successful, they would try to get their attention in some way (such as annoyingly fly in their faces etc.) and lead them back to the B&B.

They were just about to enter when suddenly, to his surprise, Ethledredda decided to break the lock and burst through the door.

“I hope that’s included in the deposit…” he said quietly, looking at the broken mess of old iron in the side of the door. He then had a look at this new arrival. He looked like a wizard to him. He certainly wouldn’t exactly blend in if he were just walking through the town. Honestly, he wondered how the old man had managed to make his way through the streets here without anyone noticing him. Did*’t everyone here hate magic?

He did*’t react much to Joric’s statement, he simply looked crestfallen at the fact someone had noticed. This one made a lot of puns it seemed.

Rovaan** change was what really shocked him. It seemed bizarre enough that someone they were travelling with was actually a giant wolf-thing in disguise, but everyone seemed so casual about it. He was still struggling to get his head round some of these people.

“No offense or anything, but…is it safe for him to do that here? We're not exactly being discreet...and now the lock's broken...” he looked around to see if there was a way of blocking the windows, maybe keeping the door shut as well.

16-Nov-2015 19:43:06

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hamstead B&B (Did they have these in Medieval times...?)

Conleth was relieved to see that other members of the party were coming back. the birds with them circled around him a little before landing on his shoulder. He scratched a couple of them affectionately behind the head. Perhaps he should have explained earlier what they were for.

Either way, there was another matter to be dealt with, whether this new arrival would stay or not.

"I have to vote that he stays really, it would be a tad hypocritical not to." He was about to mention that even if he was not to be trusted this would let them keep an eye on him, but he kept that thought to himself to avoid further tension.

Of course, things only got stranger as the door was once again slammed open, this time knocking Joric out. Hopefully this wasn't going to become a recurring theme.

As he hurried over to where the unconscious dwarf was, in case his help was needed (spoiler, it wasn't), he saw yet another stranger enter the room, although this one seemed very different for a lot of reasons.

Since every situation he'd been in since yesterday had become progressively more bizarre, he decided to just stand back and observe. He was getting used to it now.

04-Feb-2016 14:58:27

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hamstead B&B (Bashing & Bludgeoning)

It was a relief to see that the party’s leader knew the new arrival, and they seemed trustworthy enough, certainly no less so than anyone else. Once the decision had also been made to let the time mage stay, and Judy had volunteered to keep watch, Conleth found a seat near a window in the corner of the room, sat down and drifted off.

…He was awakened by a light scratching on his face. Waving his hand around, he saw one of the sparrows on his knee, looking expectantly at him. He was confused as to why it was insisting on being silent, but before he could wake up properly, he heard a deafening roar from Joric.

Jolted awake, he jumped off his chair to see what could only be described as an eldritch abomination forming in the room. At this point it seemed the other party members were waking up.

During the confusion, Conleth held the window open for just a second so the sparrows could fly out of the opening and out into the night. Well, two of them. The third still seemed to be following the barbarian around for no particular reason.

He drew two knives, waiting to see if the others' attacks could harm the fiend.

08-Feb-2016 19:06:32

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hamstead B&B

Conleth listened as the strange being took its time to monologue, making sure to insult various party members and gloat about how powerfully it was and all the evil stuff it was going to do. This was fairly standard procedure, after all.

It looked like several people were already fighting the creature, but to no avail it seemed, as it either countered their attacks or seemed unaffected. Perhaps it was immune to anything physical? He doubted his knives would do much good, anyway. It even managed to dodge a magic attack, simply letting hit the party leader no less.

To make matters worse it seemed to be drawing power form some of the party members, apparently the ones with demonic powers if the howl from the hell-pup upstairs was anything to go by. But it did*’t look like any of them were interested in leaving, even when Kuro shouted to get them all out.

On the contrary, Rovaan was retaliating. Was this a good idea? Either way, there was nothing Conleth could do, their leader was knocked out and this great big*thing was threatening them. They were in a pretty desperate situation. So he just had to stand there and watch as the merely odd looking human from before was replaced with what could only be described as a walking volcano wolf with bat wings.

It was one of the most over-the-top, ridiculous things Conleth had ever seen, at least on par with Kuro’s alternate form from earlier on. Why did it have to be so…showy? He couldn’t help but think the lava was a bit too much to begin with, as the wings could at least be useful. But then it had to summon that sword…It was just too much. He wasn’t even scared any more, just mildly annoyed at how flashy everything had to be all the time. He could have almost found it funny if they hadn’t been in such a dangerous situation.

13-Apr-2016 19:13:40 - Last edited on 13-Apr-2016 19:15:51 by Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
By now it was difficult to say who was winning, although the barbarian warrior had managed to get some physical attacks to affect the fiend, and Kuro was…draining the creature? And had also begun taking on his alternate form, ~of course~ he thought to himself, imagining a sarcastic tone.

He had to do something, he couldn’t just stand there while the others fought. He was about to help, when suddenly the young girl shouted something to the creature. She wanted to free it?!

He made a short, loud noise, then, as if on cue, there was a high pitched sound from outside. The glass of the window behind Conleth shattered, and the red kite came flying in, making a surprisingly melodic cry. He gestured towards Azul, and the bird began flying around the demon, attempting to distract it while Joric and Rovaan fought it.

He ran over to Annie. “Listen!” he said urgently, trying to sound reassuring, “There’s a difference between a slave and a prisoner. I don’t know what happened to this creature before, but right now, no-one is controlling him, and he’s trying to kill us.”

He then drew his daggers, ready to engage the creature.

13-Apr-2016 19:15:24

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hamstead rubble pile

Conleth blinked once or twice, clearly trying to digest what had just happened. In the heat of battle he hadn’t been able to reflect on the situation like this, but now it was over he was just beginning to realize how bizarre this whole affair was. Some eldritch abomination had appeared from seemingly nowhere – as he thought this, his face took a slightly squeamish expression, but apparently it wasn’t quite enough to make him lose his dinner – before total chaos had ensued.

One party member had undergone a complete transfiguration, another had tried to help the thing that was attacking them, there was some sort of music, some kind of spell that had stopped the building crushing them, their leader had been knocked out, he couldn’t even remember it in the correct order, so much had just happened.

It did*’t take long, however, to register that they did, indeed, need to leave soon. Conleth knew already that people here were less than fond of magic and its users, and about…almost their entire party were magic users.

“Yeah…” he replied to Ethledredda, “It probably only a matter of time before an angry mob comes to attack us with pitchforks and torches. They’re really punctual these days.”

Luckily, he had eyes and ears almost everywhere, even if they weren’t the most acute. He sent all three of his sparrows off in various directions, before sending his kite to soar high above them, scouting the nearby area.

One of the sparrows headed north-east, one south-west, and one stayed in the centre of the town with the kite, since there were likely a lot of people here, and it was nearer to the B&B, so they may have heard the noise. They would attempt to get information off local birds if possible, although the kite would most likely scare most of them away.

26-May-2016 17:04:57

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Darkreach

The pleasant calm of the river soon faded away to yet more disarray, though not nearly as much as the night before, as Conleth stepped off the boat and onto the bank of the Elopa, eyeing the village before them.

He tried to ignore the myriad characters and commotions going on, although not paying attention to the dark armoured knight’s rather dramatic entrance was by no means easy. Instead, he opted to listen to the group’s leader, who seemed to be calculating the best course of action.

It seemed they had two options. Naturally, Conleth would have much preferred going straight into the forest; he was much more at home in such an environment. Had he been alone, he would be making his way already, across the tree-branches. However, instead, he chose to stay silent. Traversing the forest may be the more suitable option for himself, but, having relatively little experience of being in a party, he had no idea what the best plan would be for them collectively.

08-Jun-2016 18:02:33

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Myrkvior

The moment the spiders had left their dwelling in the trees, their place was taken by Conleth. Having not been given any specific orders, he assumed the best course of action was to try and take out as many enemies, or protect as many allies, as possible.

Up in the canopy, he was now in his element, apart from the pesky spider webs he had to try and avoid. He had height, and could see the whole battlefield, at least as much as one could in whatever visibility this tainted forest had to offer.

He examined the spiders like bird watching its prey. They seemed more suited to destroying the enemies below them, appearing to lack any way of upward attack. But there was no way his knives were going to puncture an exoskeleton that thick...he figured would have to attack the eyes, or the joints of the limbs.

He would centre in on the first spider he could see which was threatening an ally, wherever that happened to be, and jump down on it, attempting to get onto its head and plunge a knive into one of the eyes, hopefully occupying it long enough for someone to deal with it.

If this succeeded, he would attempt to jump either back into the trees or onto another spider, and repeat the process.

25-Jul-2016 12:59:15

Sir Duncan88

Sir Duncan88

Posts: 2,964Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Conleth buried his head in his arms as he was tackled to the ground, just as the stream of siphoned flames rushed over both him and Etheldredda.

Pulling his head up, spitting out his complimentary mouth-full-of-soil, he saw the forest in total darkness. Then he heard it. Far off, some huge thing was approaching. No sooner had he been able to register what was going on, than Etheldredda told him they had to move and disappeared into the shadows.

"Er...Right!" he replied rather weakly, pushing himself up and dashing into the inky blackness after the party's leader.

Blast, he thought to himself, stumbling on the uneven ground as he ran. The tiny, meager lights punctuating the darkness were hardly enough to guide the way. He was vaguely aware of Rovaan however, thanks to his rather conspicuous appearance, and the fact that he'd almost hit him with an unfortunate direfox which had been stupid enough to bite his ankle.

It was shortly after jumping over the creature as it slumped to the ground, that he turned to look in Rovaan's direction. Somewhere else in the clearing, a brief flash illuminated Thorek near the coven's leader, fighting with what appeared to be one of her guards. He took one of his knives, drew his arm back and threw, aiming not to damage but to catch the hagspawn by surprise so Thorek could gain the edge in the fight.

12-Mar-2017 17:24:26

Quick find code: 49-50-186-65639574Back to Top