Forums

Quests in the Making (V2)

Quick find code: 16-17-584-65048986

of 161
JaggedQuacks

JaggedQuacks

Posts: 443Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Amascut said:
Ingmaster said:
stupid tutorial island quest. the bank quest was infinitely more creative and interesting.


TBH, Bank quest was the one I wanted least. Trying to explain game mechanics in story form pretty much never works, and comes off as forced, not fun.
Tutorial island is the same though, trying to explain gameplay mechanics with story when they can be easily dismissed with suspension of disbelief.
If you don't have quest cape you should feel bad.

31-Aug-2015 17:13:50

Autumn Elite
Feb Member 2019

Autumn Elite

Posts: 3,464Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Draco Malek said:
The only thing that bothers me about the Floor 61 quest is the Dungeoneering requirement. Would we actually have to get like 120 Dung just to play it? Major turnoff as a quester.


In the poll, it was confirmed 120 dungeoneering would not be a requirement to the quest. However one of the rewards wold be unlocking Floor 61 for all those with 120 dungeoneering as a post quest replayable floor.

JaggedQuacks said:
Tutorial island is the same though, trying to explain gameplay mechanics with story when they can be easily dismissed with suspension of disbelief.


Apparently thought the bank quest suggestion wanted 100% jokes and silliness, no lore or plot at all. They saw it as a Bringing Home the Bacon 2.0 if you will. At least the tutorial island quest suggestor is open to a story. Trust me, I have a long list of subjects I would discuss over these two topics but tutorial island is preferable to bank quest.
Wake me up when Osborne resigns | Will not be renewing membership until Jagex deals with its toxic developer culture & has a new, better lead designer | *Soon TM” is not a fun joke, it is an admission the company is an embarrassment

31-Aug-2015 17:41:49

Guitar Girl

Guitar Girl

Posts: 371Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Fat N Wacky said:


That said, I haven't entirely lost faith in the Tutorial Island quest, simply because the suggester(?) of the idea "purposely left the RL post vague so people would go to the Forums and read more."


Did I say that?

I left it vague because the criteria, to me, seemed as if they were looking for vague. I felt that they were looking to answer it on their own accord without much input from the suggester. Why ask us to ask a question just to answer it ourselves? That was my interpretation.

31-Aug-2015 19:31:26

Fat N Wacky
Aug Gold Premier Club Member 2013

Fat N Wacky

Posts: 5,211Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Guitar Girl said:
Fat N Wacky said:


That said, I haven't entirely lost faith in the Tutorial Island quest, simply because the suggester(?) of the idea "purposely left the RL post vague so people would go to the Forums and read more."


Did I say that?

I left it vague because the criteria, to me, seemed as if they were looking for vague. I felt that they were looking to answer it on their own accord without much input from the suggester. Why ask us to ask a question just to answer it ourselves? That was my interpretation.


I apologize, looking back through your posts on this thread, you didn't quite say that. I must have misremembered.
The best things in life are hidden. You have to seek them out! :D

01-Sep-2015 00:12:32 - Last edited on 01-Sep-2015 00:12:52 by Fat N Wacky

Amascut
Aug Gold Premier Club Member 2013

Amascut

Posts: 21,616Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
JaggedQuacks said:
Amascut said:
Ingmaster said:
stupid tutorial island quest. the bank quest was infinitely more creative and interesting.


TBH, Bank quest was the one I wanted least. Trying to explain game mechanics in story form pretty much never works, and comes off as forced, not fun.
Tutorial island is the same though, trying to explain gameplay mechanics with story when they can be easily dismissed with suspension of disbelief.


It at least makes use of a known location in the lore (via PoP), and Guitar Girl is being *amazing* about gathering ideas and seeing what can be done with them :)
@Fannygirdle on Twitter | Co-Owner of The Scrying Pool, a future updates and lore clan

01-Sep-2015 03:41:39

FlammaUriah
Sep Gold Premier Club Member 2012

FlammaUriah

Posts: 1,202Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm kinda glad that everyone's tune seems to be turning a bit in regards to the Tutorial Island quest. Here's to hoping it turns out rather well (and fingers crossed it doesn't want a squeal when it's done because so many unfinished story lines already).

Do we have a date for the Vampyre quest outside of this month?
Don't look to hard.

01-Sep-2015 23:19:49

Amascut
Aug Gold Premier Club Member 2013

Amascut

Posts: 21,616Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FlammaUriah said:
I'm kinda glad that everyone's tune seems to be turning a bit in regards to the Tutorial Island quest. Here's to hoping it turns out rather well (and fingers crossed it doesn't want a squeal when it's done because so many unfinished story lines already).

Do we have a date for the Vampyre quest outside of this month?


Also hoping for either a standalone, or a sequel with a closed end with Tutorial Island!

And no specific date yet - I'm expecting 3rd week of the month though.
@Fannygirdle on Twitter | Co-Owner of The Scrying Pool, a future updates and lore clan

03-Sep-2015 12:14:55

Robo Hobo

Robo Hobo

Posts: 19,808Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Autumn Elite said:

Irratic story progress - The story just doesn't fit together or work as a natural progression. You can very clearly feel where the developer went 'Oh, lets do this now!" It's very jarring. Take how Vanstrom is the main antagonist during In search then does little until Branches. We weren't building up to that in any way - Ana jus decided to use Vanstrom again.


Actually, Vanstrom was still pretty involved throughout the series even after In Search.

During In Aid of the Myreque, Vanstrom is the one whom sends Gadderanks to collect the tithe from Burg de rott.

During Darkness of Hallowvale, we directly get in a fight against Vanstrom but can't hurt him at all due to not having any weapon that can. He nearly kills us, but then we're saved by the intervention of Vanescula's human servant.

He doesn't show up in Legacy of Seergaze, but then, no named Vampyre does.
You can only fully appreciate a story when you experience it through the eyes of one of its characters.

05-Sep-2015 13:41:41

Autumn Elite
Feb Member 2019

Autumn Elite

Posts: 3,464Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Robo Hobo said:
Actually, Vanstrom was still pretty involved throughout the series even after In Search.

During In Aid of the Myreque, Vanstrom is the one whom sends Gadderanks to collect the tithe from Burg de rott.

During Darkness of Hallowvale, we directly get in a fight against Vanstrom but can't hurt him at all due to not having any weapon that can. He nearly kills us, but then we're saved by the intervention of Vanescula's human servant.

He doesn't show up in Legacy of Seergaze, but then, no named Vampyre does.


Hmm. That slightly dampens my point on Vanstrom. Finishing Legacy, there is no indication you will be dealing with him soon. Sure he's a minor irritation and will probably need to be dealt with before the series ends but nothing to say he's in our path.

I think a better example may be Ranis. Thats more of a "did a major player just die? Thats random" moment. But neither feel set up or rewarding. Contrast that Sigmund in the cave goblin series. We have a much more antaganostical relationship and even though he never appears in the 4th quest of the series, his resolution feels at an an appropriate point and fitting.

With the Myreque, it doesn't. Thats one of my main concerns going into Lord. If its "Oh yes, Drakan's here now. Why? We decided the plot needed a kick", that will stick out. We are very far into a quest series now but none of the resolutions feel earned or natural.
Wake me up when Osborne resigns | Will not be renewing membership until Jagex deals with its toxic developer culture & has a new, better lead designer | *Soon TM” is not a fun joke, it is an admission the company is an embarrassment

05-Sep-2015 13:54:11

Schreck

Schreck

Posts: 30Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have to apologize for interrupting the current discussion, but I just wanted to say that I've enjoyed your Video, Amascut, about the new quest very much! Although I'm not someone that has a clear and structured overview about the whole RuneScape history it's still very interesting for me and I love reading discussion about lore.

I'm looking forward to future videos of you as you seem to be veeery knowledgable (same with Robo, Lord Drakan, Autumn, etc.) - it amazes me every time.

Best regards,
Schreck

05-Sep-2015 15:27:22

Quick find code: 16-17-584-65048986Back to Top