Forums

Broken PvP mechanics

Quick find code: 322-323-229-66012020

of 9
Fenforge

Fenforge

Posts: 2,556Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FisherGaming said:
I don't care how things were done in Classic. This isn't Classic.

That's fine, but one cannot disregard the origins of this game.
FisherGaming said:

Think about why that was changed moving forward.

1. Poor game mechanics?
2. The WoW bandwagon?
3. Was simply overlooked?

Perhaps you know more about the game engine that you're unwilling to divulge about?

MP1 ... ?
Cancer Cure Hits the Market! Car-T Cells Youtube.

29-May-2018 05:52:15

FisherGaming
Feb Member 2019

FisherGaming

Posts: 4,180Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Fenforge said:
FisherGaming said:
Think about why that was changed moving forward.

1. Poor game mechanics?
2. The WoW bandwagon?
3. Was simply overlooked?
1. Yes, being able to attack someone already in combat was a poor game mechanic.
2. WoW doesn't have any "single-combat" style mechanics, so definitely not.
3. It was changed intentionally. If it were overlooked, it would've remained the same as it was.
There'd be no need for 3rd party clients if the default one was decent. I vote no to all non-PvP Wilderness updates, and yes to all PvP Wilderness updates. If you want to revive the wilderness, encourage players to PvP, not lure them to the Wilderness to be victims.

29-May-2018 06:40:46

FisherGaming
Feb Member 2019

FisherGaming

Posts: 4,180Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Fenforge said:
Yet you've failed to outline why this flawed mechanic exists.
Why it exists? Because Jagex made it that way.

If you're asking why they made it that way, it's because being able to attack a player while they are already in combat defeats the entire purpose of having single and multi-combat zones in the first place. If single combat doesn't mean anything, then why have those zones in the first place?

Single combat applies to both players and monsters. With how the game's system works, you could potentially attack someone as they get hit rather hard by a monster, then combo them out while they are low, or even just attack them to grief them and make them unable to attack the monster due to already being attacked.

With help, you could possibly steal the credit of another player's monster kills by attacking them before they do enough damage, and finishing the monster that they were working on.

There's a number of reasons for it.
There'd be no need for 3rd party clients if the default one was decent. I vote no to all non-PvP Wilderness updates, and yes to all PvP Wilderness updates. If you want to revive the wilderness, encourage players to PvP, not lure them to the Wilderness to be victims.

29-May-2018 07:39:21 - Last edited on 29-May-2018 07:40:16 by FisherGaming

Fenforge

Fenforge

Posts: 2,556Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FisherGaming said:

Single combat applies to both players and monsters. With how the game's system works, you could potentially attack someone as they get hit rather hard by a monster, then combo them out while they are low, or even just attack them to grief them and make them unable to attack the monster due to already being attacked.

Well it'd be up to the player to watch their health bar then.......

There's no such thing as " grief " in Runescape. Whilst a player may be getting the business, that same player has the ability to fight back the player that is attacking them.

This is a poor excuse.

Fenforge said:

When doing clue scrolls, if a player is to fight a clue step boss when in a single combat-zone & is already being attacked. The clue step boss will override the attacking npc & take priority.

FisherGaming said:

With help, you could possibly steal the credit of another player's monster kills by attacking them before they do enough damage, and finishing the monster that they were working on.

& there's an unlimited amount of npc"s to kill. They just keep spawning.........
MP1 ... ?
Cancer Cure Hits the Market! Car-T Cells Youtube.

29-May-2018 09:48:10

FisherGaming
Feb Member 2019

FisherGaming

Posts: 4,180Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Fenforge said:
There's no such thing as " grief " in Runescape.
Exactly, because things like being able to attack someone already in combat were removed.

Sounds like it was a success.

Fenforge said:
Whilst a player may be getting the business, that same player has the ability to fight back the player that is attacking them.
Ah, the age old "just fight back" response.

That might've worked back in the day when there were basically only 4 types of armor, and Runite was best for everything, and "fighting back" was as easy as left clicking your opponent and hoping your RNG was better, but that doesn't fly now.

The game is wildly different than it used to be, and such a response is simply invalid. PvMers aren't PvPers, and their gear choices and inventory setup reflect that.

Fenforge said:
& there's an unlimited amount of npc"s to kill. They just keep spawning...
Wow, no kidding? I know that, buddy.

I'm saying that two griefers could just attack you after you deal some damage to a monster, then the other person can kill that monster after you've done most of the work. They get the credit for it. Next one spawns, same thing, because they just keep attacking you to disrupt your combat with the monster.
There'd be no need for 3rd party clients if the default one was decent. I vote no to all non-PvP Wilderness updates, and yes to all PvP Wilderness updates. If you want to revive the wilderness, encourage players to PvP, not lure them to the Wilderness to be victims.

29-May-2018 09:53:57 - Last edited on 29-May-2018 09:54:22 by FisherGaming

Fenforge

Fenforge

Posts: 2,556Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FisherGaming said:

Ah, the age old "just fight back" response.

That might've worked back in the day when there were basically only 4 types of armor, and Runite was best for everything, and "fighting back" was as easy as left clicking your opponent and hoping your RNG was better, but that doesn't fly now.

The game is wildly different than it used to be, and such a response is simply invalid. PvMers aren't PvPers, and their gear choices and inventory setup reflect that.

No.

Wilderness PvM influences the player to have a unique inventory setup. Most Wilderness PvMer's carry 2 PvP styles if needed.

FisherGaming said:

I'm saying that two griefers could just attack you after you deal some damage to a monster, then the other person can kill that monster after you've done most of the work. They get the credit for it. Next one spawns, same thing, because they just keep attacking you to disrupt your combat with the monster.

Bring some allies perhaps?

It's meant to be a M.M.O after all..........
MP1 ... ?
Cancer Cure Hits the Market! Car-T Cells Youtube.

29-May-2018 10:01:28

FisherGaming
Feb Member 2019

FisherGaming

Posts: 4,180Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Fenforge said:
Wilderness PvM influences the player to have a unique inventory setup. Most Wilderness PvMer's carry 2 PvP styles if needed.
Yeah, it makes them take very cheap gear that is just good enough to kill the boss, so when they inevitably die to a PKer, they don't lose much.

Anyone bringing gear to PvP is called a PvPer, not a PvMer.

Fenforge said:
Bring some allies perhaps?
Bring some allies to counter the fact people are bypassing single-combat zones to attack you while you are already under attack?

You want it to be possible to attack someone who is already under attack by monsters, but you don't want to make it possible to attack someone already under attack by another player.

So how would allies help, anyway? They could only watch helplessly as you get attacked.

Terrible suggestion.
There'd be no need for 3rd party clients if the default one was decent. I vote no to all non-PvP Wilderness updates, and yes to all PvP Wilderness updates. If you want to revive the wilderness, encourage players to PvP, not lure them to the Wilderness to be victims.

29-May-2018 10:06:49

Fenforge

Fenforge

Posts: 2,556Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FisherGaming said:

You want it to be possible to attack someone who is already under attack by monsters,

Yes, & interrupt that combat. Obviously the npc would stop attacking at that point.
FisherGaming said:

but you don't want to make it possible to attack someone already under attack by another player.

Yes to this also, but kept as it is currently. I'm sure it's 2 eats & you can attack. ( I've done my fair share of pile jumping. )
MP1 ... ?
Cancer Cure Hits the Market! Car-T Cells Youtube.

29-May-2018 10:31:58 - Last edited on 29-May-2018 10:32:12 by Fenforge

FisherGaming
Feb Member 2019

FisherGaming

Posts: 4,180Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Fenforge said:
FisherGaming said:
but you don't want to make it possible to attack someone already under attack by another player.
Yes to this also, but kept as it is currently.
Which is exactly my point.

Answer my question: How will having allies help if they aren't allowed to defend you when you're already under attack by another player?
There'd be no need for 3rd party clients if the default one was decent. I vote no to all non-PvP Wilderness updates, and yes to all PvP Wilderness updates. If you want to revive the wilderness, encourage players to PvP, not lure them to the Wilderness to be victims.

29-May-2018 10:33:51

Quick find code: 322-323-229-66012020Back to Top