Next Content Poll
We’re still eagerly awaiting some of the features you voted through in Poll 2, specifically the themed world list, the improved routefinding behaviour and the game worlds with F2P content restrictions. Mod Philip’s game engine team will be providing these as soon as they possibly can for you; watch the forums for further information. Meanwhile, we’ve been trawling your threads to gather a poll’s worth of ideas that we can implement without needing to drop any more work on the game engine guys.
- Update the TzHaar Fight Cave so that if you log out mid-wave, you automatically restart that wave when you log back in. Remember, you can already pause the Fight Cave by pressing Logout, then completing your current wave and waiting for the game to log you out automatically. However, that existing feature isn’t always helpful enough when there’s a system update, or if your connection’s unstable.
- Make rock cakes available to players who have completed the dwarf chapter of Recipe for Disaster, for a fee. The rock cakes cause damage if you try to eat them, which is useful if you want low health to make Dharok’s kit more effective.
- Make the bone key available to players who have completed Shilo Village, for a fee. The bone key gives access to a tomb full of rapidly-spawning undead creatures, which is useful for combat training.
- Add a right-click option to the Slayer gem so that you can check your progress on your Slayer assignment more conveniently.
- Update Smithing so that you’re no longer locked into the action when you smith multiple items at an anvil. Currently, if you request to smith 10 maces, you can’t walk away from the anvil until you’ve finished, and your run energy doesn’t recharge while you’re smithing. If we made this change, you would be able to walk away from the anvil at any time, and your run energy would recharge while you were smithing.
- Update number dialogue boxes to understand that “k” = “thousand” and “m” = “million”. At the moment, you have to count the zeroes carefully when typing large numbers for trading or banking. If we made this change, you’d be able to type “5k” or “10m” rather than “5000” or “10000000” respectively.
- Reset prayer points and drained stats at the end of Castle Wars, since it doesn't always do this if you play to the end of the game.
- Re-arrange the F-key shortcuts to match the behaviour of the main version of RuneScape.
ESC – Inventory
F1 – Combat style
F2 – Stats
F3 – Quest list
F4 – Worn items
F5 – Prayer
F6 – Magic
F7 – Friends-chat channel
F8 – Friends list
F9 – Ignore list
F10 – Options
F11 – Emotes
F12 – Music
The main version of RuneScape currently uses F1-F5, but doesn’t use most of the other F-keys or ESC, so if we made this change, the shortcuts would become:
F1 – Inventory
F2 – Worn items
F3 – Prayer
F4 – Magic
F5 – Combat style
F6 – Stats
F7 – Friends-chat channel (unchanged)
F8 – Friends list (unchanged)
F9 – Ignore list (unchanged)
F10 – Options (unchanged)
F11 – Emotes (unchanged)
F12 – Music (unchanged)
ESC – Log out
Possible future content
In a devblog in March, we talked about the archive of updates that were half-written in August 2007, such as Path of Glouphrie, Land of the Goblins and the ZMI Altar. At the time, we explained that we wouldn’t even be able to consider offering those updates on a poll without having the required compilers to integrate them into OldSchool RuneScape. That’s still the case, and it’s not likely to change in the coming weeks. So, this month, we’d like to talk about the kind of new content we could write using the tools and compilers that are already available to us; we’d love for you to come up with your own designs.
Any new content would still have to be approved via a poll, so that it would only get into the game if a vast majority of the community supported it.
- We can add very simple bits of interactive scenery or characters to existing areas.
- Although we can’t yet create new map areas, we can make “private” areas for the use of selected players, and copy existing terrain into them. For example, when you use the Fight Cave, we make a private area for you and copy the cave terrain into it. When you visit your POH, we make a private area for you and your friends, and copy house terrain into it.
- Although we can’t yet create new models, we can re-use existing models and sometimes change their colours, so we could create new items with different stats and behaviours. For example, all the scimitars from bronze to rune use the same model with its colour changed.
- Similarly, we can make new versions of monsters with different stats and drops.
To kickstart your ideas, here are some examples:
An aged guardian stands by a lever near the Yanille bank. When you talk to her, she lists the boss monsters of various quests that you have completed. You select which one you’d like to fight again. Once you’re ready, you pull the lever. You are teleported into a cave that looks exactly like the KBD lair, but instead of the KBD you meet the monster you wished to fight. It’s a private cave, so you’d have the monster all to yourself. If you win, you get rewarded with yellow tokens. The aged guardian exchanges these for degradable yellow armour that absorbs monster damage but not PVP damage.
A leprechaun stands by a magic door. If you pay him some money, he gives you a key to the door. You can set an ID number on the key. When you pass through the door, you are teleported to a private copy of the Kalphite Queen’s lair with a Kalphite Queen to fight. Other players may pass through the door to join you, but only if they know the ID number you set on your key.
If you’ve got any ideas that you think we could construct from existing assets like this, we’d love for you to post them.
Mod Ash & Mod Nexus
19-Apr-2013 13:29:58 - Last edited on 19-Apr-2013 13:30:18 by Mod Ash