Dimension of the Damned
Game changes and bug fixes
We introduced some hotfixes to this, as the below changes made it much more challenging then intended:
- Zombies no longer spawn around Falador
- Boss Zombies deal less damage on spawn
- Hordes now spawn base zombies only
While the changes we made during the cold fix definitely made DotD more challenging,
Falador was almost impossible to escape, and the boss spawning damage was creating huge issues for anyone with low gear, so this should aim to rectify those issues.
Thanks to everyone who has tried out Dimension of the Damned and given us your feedback so far. As mentioned, this game mode is something brand new for us, and we knew there would always be a fine tuning process. After watching and listening to everything over the initial 24 hours, we’ve identified some key balancing issues that need changing, and following a game update happening soon, these changes will be taking place:
Game doesn’t feel threatening;
- We’re increasing the amount of zombies spawning from both existing in the game world, as well as the actions you do which attract zombies
- You are also less likely to get the base zombies, and a higher chance of getting the resistant/fast zombies
We were seeing a lot of people experiencing down time or even no zombies after a while, both during sessions and when exploring the world. You should always feel threatened whilst in this Dimension, and these changes should work to fix that.
Massing bosses is boring and too common;
- When the Boss Zombie spawns, it will now do 5500 damage to 30 people around it
- When the Boss Zombie dies, it will now infect those around it with 5 stacks of Zombie-ism.
Massing was becoming the norm, and was confusing new players/boring players staying in for a while. These changes mean that standing in a large group of people can be detrimental to your sessions. Group balance will be key to ensure you’re not quickly wiped out by too many zombie bosses spawning in quick succession, but also ensuring you’re making the most of Unwieldly Zombies.
Surviving isn’t a challenge
- Zombies resistant to certain types of damage and the Fast Zombies now hit much harder
- As a by-product of the extra damage being received, you’ll be victim to more stacks of Zombie-ism and need antidotes to survive
Having a swarm of zombies coming towards you should feel challenging, and you should have fight or flight choices to make. Additionally, the Zombie infection was rarely showing, making antidotes near useless. This should help make them a manageable threat.
Altogether, the above changes mean that juggling and summoning boss zombies are still a key aim of this mode, but you’ll have to be smarter about where you are and who you’re fighting with. Too many people, and you’ll struggle to stay alive. Not enough, and you’ll be overwhelmed by the hordes. The increased amount of Zombies are both threatening to your sessions, but also help balance out the fact you may not see as many boss monsters. This also means that you’ll want to avoid densely populated areas, and getting back to safe places may not be as easy as originally seemed. One or two Fast zombies might see you struggling to get back home.
We currently aren’t planning to reset the hi scores, as the changes we’ve made should balance themselves to a point where people still have the ability to get a score that places them in the top 1000. We will of course, monitor this closely, and make changes where necessary to ensure the competition is fair for all.
There were also a number of bugs that we’re also fixing during this update:
- Selecting the clan chat in the chat interface no longer closes the chat window
- You are now able to equip the Blue Dragonhide Body freely!
- The timer was confused – it now correctly counts down, instead of up.
- Supply crates are now no longer able to be picked up via the loot interface
We’ll continue to monitor this game mode and read the feedback you’re providing. Thanks again!
17-Oct-2017 12:41:41 - Last edited on 17-Oct-2017 16:44:35 by Mod Sayln