Forums

Next character name releases?

Quick find code: 278-279-215-66054584

Magic Pengel
Sep Gold Premier Club Member 2012

Magic Pengel

Posts: 20,000Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nathan was seemingly the only one to care about displaynames within the team. Now that he's no longer an employee at Jagex, are any of you in this department working on a better way to implement more clearings, any year soon?

Thank you.
.
RETIRED
.
• RS3: Maxed, 5 200M's, 13 120's, 2B+ Total EXP, Christmas cracker Baby troll | OSRS: 6 99's •
• Forums: 09 Ex-Forum Moderator, 20,000 Postcount | Other: 15+ Year veteran, Name-change addict •

21-Oct-2018 19:52:06

Mod Lyon

Mod Lyon

Jagex Moderator Forum Profile Posts by user
Nathan?

The ability to change names is at the discretion of Customer Support and others within Jagex about whether they feel one is justified. There are no plans to do another.
Jagex Web Team

Twitter - @JagexLyon

22-Oct-2018 08:54:53

Loki
Sep Gold Premier Club Member 2011

Loki

Posts: 57,408Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nathan (Mod Infinity) was only interested in clearing names because he was a Customer Support manager, if I remember correctly. These things seem to only happen every 3 to 4 years, and the last name release was in 2017, so the next one should be approximately 2020.
• »‡« •
Adam
• »‡« •

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

22-Oct-2018 10:53:52

Mod Lyon

Mod Lyon

Jagex Moderator Forum Profile Posts by user
Loki said:
Nathan (Mod Infinity) was only interested in clearing names because he was a Customer Support manager, if I remember correctly. These things seem to only happen every 3 to 4 years, and the last name release was in 2017, so the next one should be approximately 2020.


Oh. Mod Infinity was indeed a Customer Support Manager, but its misleading to suggest he was some stalwart champion of display names. Plenty of people wanted to do this, and many of them remain at Jagex.

The benefits however are minimal other than the perception they give you the community, and the amount of "cleared" display names aren't ever particularly fruitful.
Jagex Web Team

Twitter - @JagexLyon

22-Oct-2018 14:24:52

Blackwing
Nov Member 2012

Blackwing

Posts: 40,844Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mod Lyon said:
The benefits however are minimal other than the perception they give you the community, and the amount of "cleared" display names aren't ever particularly fruitful.

But how exactly do you analyze the "worthiness" of doing name releases?

Because from what I can remember from the previous name release, how it was organized seemed to me as though it allowed name hoarders to easily keep their name, even though there must be many of them out there who hold onto the names only because they want to keep them from others, or because they want to sell it.

Then again, I also understand that the people sniping the "best" names when they are actually released could also be a problem, but I don't think Jagex has given the players data regarding this, so we don't really know (to my knowledge).
"These ghastly beasts CAN be slain! They CAN be overcome!" -Borch Three Jackdaws

22-Oct-2018 18:07:24

Miu

Miu

Posts: 16,014Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mod Lyon said:
Loki said:
Nathan (Mod Infinity) was only interested in clearing names because he was a Customer Support manager, if I remember correctly. These things seem to only happen every 3 to 4 years, and the last name release was in 2017, so the next one should be approximately 2020.


Oh. Mod Infinity was indeed a Customer Support Manager, but its misleading to suggest he was some stalwart champion of display names. Plenty of people wanted to do this, and many of them remain at Jagex.

The benefits however are minimal other than the perception they give you the community, and the amount of "cleared" display names aren't ever particularly fruitful.


I don't see the need for these, but if we're to have display name clearing, it would be best to have a set schedule so people don't ask for em all the time.
Don't forget – RuneScape members get TWO free spins a day instead of the usual one!

22-Oct-2018 19:19:33

Follow
Jul Member 2010

Follow

Posts: 10,835Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mod Lyon said:

The benefits however are minimal other than the perception they give you the community, and the amount of "cleared" display names aren't ever particularly fruitful.


What do you mean by that? Last time the name release happened, hundreds of thousands of displaynames were freed up, among them many desireable names. If that's not fruitful then I don't know what is.

Support, there should definitely be another name release soon.
"And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."

02-Nov-2018 13:04:07

Tuffty
Jan
fmod Member
2003

Tuffty

Forum Moderator Posts: 139,391Ruby Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Many of the names were swiped and put on alts and sold. So whats the point in that...

Needs to be a better way to find a name you like without having to fight with alts just out to make a quick $$$ or £££.
Comprehensive Account Security
I love giant squid jokes. They're always kraken me up! :P

14-Dec-2018 18:49:05

Quick find code: 278-279-215-66054584Back to Top