Forums

PSA: TAPP cancelled until 2019

Quick find code: 16-17-889-66032568

of 8
Uncle Pob
Jan Member 2018

Uncle Pob

Posts: 2,739Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Below is a verbatim post from Mod Stu on Reddit:

Unfortunately, TAPP has been cancelled until at least 2019, to eliminate distractions from bringing Old School and RuneScape to Mobile (our highest priority for 2018).

Since fortnightly TAPP days are no longer a thing, I wouldn't hold out much hope for TAPP months.

The good news is that some of us managed to finish the dev work for a RuneScape TAPP project or two before its cancellation, and so hopefully some might see the light of day if approved for QA and Localisation.

Some are also continuing to develop their TAPP projects after hours for no pay.

I'm happy to report that one of my TAPP/Gamejam projects is coming out on Monday. :)

I'm grateful that we've previously been allowed time to work on personal projects, and I feel RuneScape is much better for it.

(It particularly gave us a space to lower technical debt - I hope my rewrite of our quest backend systems gets released some day - and develop small or niche projects that it's hard to market as a week's game update but still make a difference.)

Some of the things I've released in the past thanks to TAPP/Gamejam include accept/overview screens and required item lists on all quests, more quest list sorts (including length and age) and suggested requirements, Arc and New Varrock exploration achievements, and reworks of Shield of Arrav, Jungle Potion, Heroes' Quest and Imp Catcher.


https://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/94k2ww/tapp_month/e3m8ge5/

05-Aug-2018 10:42:09 - Last edited on 05-Aug-2018 10:42:44 by Uncle Pob

Uncle Pob
Jan Member 2018

Uncle Pob

Posts: 2,739Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mod Stu also mentioned one of his GameJam projects will be arriving on Monday, but didn't specify which. Here's a quick recap of the things he did during GameJam:

- Re-introduce Tutorial Island as the game's tutorial
- New achievements based path system
- Beginner's set for Daily Challenges to introduce players to them
- Combat Academy update
- Player-owned house and Construction skill available in free-to-play up to level 5.

05-Aug-2018 10:47:34

Blackwing
Nov Member 2012

Blackwing

Posts: 35,494Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Eh, having played RS on mobile myself, I don't think it'll be as big of a success as Jagex is banking on it to be. Sure they can keep on improving it, and there'll be those people who are like "did X challenging thing on mobile which is already a big challenge on PC", but I doubt they can ever make it worth all the time and resources spent on making it. TAPP projects probably would be more beneficial. > /
Sparks of ice! The cold flames in the north transform into a frost phoenix!

05-Aug-2018 10:53:21

BiggyB
Dec Member 2016

BiggyB

Posts: 5,429Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Blackwing said:
Eh, having played RS on mobile myself, I don't think it'll be as big of a success as Jagex is banking on it to be. Sure they can keep on improving it, and there'll be those people who are like "did X challenging thing on mobile which is already a big challenge on PC", but I doubt they can ever make it worth all the time and resources spent on making it. TAPP projects probably would be more beneficial. > /


I really bed to differ.. you'll be surprised on the amount of people that's out and about and can't get on their computer much. That's the type of market jagex is trying to attack and honestly? It's a positive and good one. You gotta be more open minded..
Le Infamous XP Waster... Part-time Demon Flash Mob Hunter; 8 titles found

05-Aug-2018 16:44:03

Blackwing
Nov Member 2012

Blackwing

Posts: 35,494Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
BiggyB said:
I really bed to differ.. you'll be surprised on the amount of people that's out and about and can't get on their computer much. That's the type of market jagex is trying to attack and honestly? It's a positive and good one. You gotta be more open minded..

I know that there's market for mobile games, it's just that after playing RS on mobile myself, it feels like a game that's not suitable for mobile, that's the issue. There's only so much Jagex can do to improve the mobile experience without reworking the entire game itself, and so if the intent is to simply port the current RS to mobile, I don't think it'll be worth it.
Sparks of ice! The cold flames in the north transform into a frost phoenix!

05-Aug-2018 16:57:16

Spidfair

Spidfair

Posts: 302Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Please be "Player-owned house and Construction skill available in free-to-play up to level 5." :) This will make me go P2P to renovate my POH.

05-Aug-2018 17:03:23 - Last edited on 05-Aug-2018 17:08:25 by Spidfair

Wacky Farmer
Jul Gold Premier Club Member 2007

Wacky Farmer

Posts: 21,902Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
when read that all saw was smithing and mining rework delayed till 2019 and bank rework which been told about way before mobile delayed again =-/

mobile starting to piss me off and i'm guessing not the only one
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

05-Aug-2018 18:35:08

Verterrs
Mar Member 2010

Verterrs

Posts: 4,042Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wacky Farmer said:
when read that all saw was smithing and mining rework delayed till 2019 and bank rework which been told about way before mobile delayed again =-/

mobile starting to piss me off and i'm guessing not the only one

You are definitely not the only one. I know that I will not be using mobile, so the lack of updates actually slowly moving me toward other games.

05-Aug-2018 20:21:36

Ice Rocks

Ice Rocks

Posts: 1,451Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Verterrs said:
Wacky Farmer said:
when read that all saw was smithing and mining rework delayed till 2019 and bank rework which been told about way before mobile delayed again =-/

mobile starting to piss me off and i'm guessing not the only one

You are definitely not the only one. I know that I will not be using mobile, so the lack of updates actually slowly moving me toward other games.


they edited it

05-Aug-2018 21:15:14

IceyIce
Jan Gold Premier Club Member 2017

IceyIce

Posts: 6,600Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wacky Farmer said:
when read that all saw was smithing and mining rework delayed till 2019 and bank rework which been told about way before mobile delayed again =-/

mobile starting to piss me off and i'm guessing not the only one


Mining and Smithing are not TAPP projects. A TAPP is something that a single person is working on when they can, like Seer's Village graphic rework and what not.

They said they wanted it out in the third quater of the year, so it is likely September or October. It has probably been pushed to the 4th because of mobile. And if not this year, it will likely be one of the first updates next year.
Come the Sixth-Age, the world will need the World Guardian.

05-Aug-2018 21:32:04 - Last edited on 05-Aug-2018 21:33:35 by IceyIce

Quick find code: 16-17-889-66032568Back to Top