Dev Diary: The Future of Invention
It's time to start thinking about what's next on the bleeding edge of Gielinorian tech. We’ve heard your feedback and are returning to development of the Invention skill, and we need your sharp minds to help us determine its direction.
Watch on as Mods Ollie, Deg and Erator outline our current plans, and start putting together your ideas for devices, machines and level benefits.
Pitch Us Your Ideas
We’ve got a sense of where we need to focus our efforts, but we’d love to get your thoughts on whether this is the right direction for you and for the game.
As it stands, Batch 2 will include:
- Benefits for reaching higher levels
- New devices, focusing on 99+
- Machines, which will slowly automate simple processes for you
- Quality of life improvements.
We don’t intend to introduce new components, tech trees or perks this time around, although they may come along in the future.
This is where you come in. We want you to pitch us your ideas for new Invention content that meets the above criteria. If it’s a great fit for the game and is within our scope, we’ll get it in there.
Head to our forum thread and post your idea. For device suggestions, follow this format:
- Device Name:
- What It Does:
- How It’s Used:
Please also consider the following guidelines for item level benefits:
- We aren’t looking for disassembly/siphoning benefits at this time.
- Benefits shouldn’t be so powerful that levelling an item to 20 feels mandatory.
- Benefits should not require skill-wide changes (new appearances for every augmented item, extra functionality to every perk, etc). That would lie outside of our scope for this project.
Finally, to clarify: machines take an input and – after a set amount of time – return a result. An example could be an auto-disassembler which takes a number of items and, over the course of a week, turns them into their components for you.
Whether it's a nascent notion or a 'Eureka!' moment, we need your feedback. Let us know what you think.
The RuneScape Team