- RuneScape Wiki
Abilities are how you mix up your fighting style, allowing you to do special moves, powerful combo attacks and survive against great threats. By performing basic attacks and basic abilities you will generate adrenaline, and adrenaline is used to perform more advanced and stronger abilities such as thresholds and ultimates.
There are three types of ability:
- Basic - These abilities are quick, low-cooldown abilities and are primarily used to generate adrenaline faster than simply using auto-attacks. These allow you to add more attacks to your mix, as well as stun, bind and bleed enemies.
- Threshold - Threshold abilities do more damage than basic abilities, but they also drain 15% of your adrenaline when cast. Threshold abilities require 50% adrenaline to use. By mixing threshold abilities into your arsenal you unlock greater damage output, as well as access to more powerful effects.
- Ultimate - These are the most powerful of all abilities, capable of the most devastating and beneficial effects. Most of these abilities wipe your adrenaline bar completely, and do not generate adrenaline. Deciding when to use them is key to being as effective as possible in combat.
Some abilities have special requirements such as skill level, weapon requirements and rune costs. Unless you meet these requirements, you will not be able to use your chosen ability.
A player or NPC can be set as your target for all following spells, attacks, and abilities. This will be automatically set when you attack them, but can also be manually set by pressing the 'T' button on your keyboard and then selecting the enemy you wish to attack. This can be useful for starting combat with an ability rather than an auto-attack.
Some quest objects can also be targeted if, for instance, a spell needs to be cast on them.
Accessing your Abilities
Your abilities, prayers, curses and spells are listed in the powers interface.
- Melee Powers - contains Attack- and Strength-based abilities
- Ranged Powers - contains Ranged-based abilities
- Magic Powers - contains Magic-based abilities and, combat, teleportation and skilling spells
- Defensive Powers - contains Defence- and Constitution-based abilities.
- Prayer Powers - contains prayers and curses
|Combat Triangle and Tactics • Weaknesses • Hit Splats • Combat Academy|
|Combat Level • Hit chance • Block chance|
|Melee • Ranged • Magic|
|Evolution of Combat (Full Manual • Revolution • Momentum) • Legacy|
|Melee Powers • Ranged Powers • Magic Powers • Defensive Powers • Prayer Powers|
|Weapon Types • Melee Weapons • Ranged Weapons • Magic Weapons|
|Armour Types • Hybrid Armour • Power Armour • Tank Armour • Melee Armour • Ranged Armour • Magic Armour|
|Rules of RuneScape|
|How do I get Started • Controls • Interfaces • Combat • Skills • Clans|
|The Game World|
|Area Guides • History • Races • Pronunciation Guide • Transportation • Terrain Survival Guide • Quests • Activities • Enhancing the Game|
|RuneScape Classic • Old School RuneScape|
|Game Guide||Support Centre|
|All you need to know, and more, about the game world. How to get started and how to develop your character.||Need help with your account? Perhaps the game won't run for you? Help can be found here.|
|Scribbles & Sketches||The Community Hub|
|Artwork, fan fiction and arts and crafts are found in this section.||Confused by templates or want to contribute but not sure what to do? Check here for details on the RuneScape Wiki editing community.|
Report a wiki page
If you have identified content on the wiki that breaches the wiki policies or RuneScape rules it is possible for you to resolve this by editing/updating the content.
However if you feel that a user has seriously breached our rules or editing policy and this requires urgent attention from a member of staff, then please specify the issue from the below categories: