- RuneScape Wiki
Authenticator codes on a desktop or laptop
- Authenticator codes on a desktop or laptop
The instructions below are intended as guide only. Jagex is not responsible for the content of the application outlined below and players using it do so at their own risk.
You will need
- A USB flash drive with at least 10MB free space
- A Windows desktop or laptop PC with internet access
- The WinAuth software, saved to your USB stick
- This file: winauth.xml (right click -> "Save as") saved to the same folder on your USB stick
- Your RuneScape account login and password
- A validated email on your RuneScape account
- Extract the WinAuth program from the zip file
- Drag and drop the WinAuth program and the XML file to the same folder on your USB stick
- Run WinAuth from the USB stick
- Click Add -> Google
- Give the account a name so you can remember what it is for in future
- Go to the Authenticator enable page
- Click "Set Up"
- Click "Code won't scan?"
- Copy the code from the page into the "Secret Code" box in WinAuth
- Click "Verify Authenticator"
- Enter the code that is displayed in WinAuth into the Authenticator set up page on the RuneScape website
- Click Finish on the website
- Click "OK" in WinAuth
At this point, WinAuth will ask if you want to add extra security to your WinAuth application. If you are sure that no one else will have access to your USB drive, you shouldn't need to enable these.
If you are planning to use WinAuth on different PCs then you must not enable the "Encrypt to only this computer" option
Set up complete
You now have a USB drive configured to generate codes for your RuneScape account.
Keep it in a safe place, as you will need it each time you log in to RuneScape on an untrusted PC.
It's probably best not to move, edit or modify the files in any way, to ensure codes continue to be generated.
Never share your USB stick or secret codes with anyone.
If you lose your USB stick, you will be able to reset the system the next time you try to log in to the game.
The system is reset by email. It is therefore very important to ensure your email account is secure. We recommend enabling a similar security system on your email account. Google Mail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail and Outlook.com all provide similar account security systems.
Each time you play
Each time you play RuneScape on an untrusted PC you will be prompted for an Authenticator code. Open WinAuth and enter the code that is displayed.
If you see "------" instead of a code, click the arrow to the right side of the window to generate a new code.
A RuneScape icon is available here
This will be saved as part of the configuration so will appear on any PC. To use it:
- Save the image file to your PC
- Open WinAuth
- Right click the existing icon
- Click Icon -> Other
- Choose the new icon
Report a wiki page
If you have identified content on the wiki that breaches the wiki policies or RuneScape rules it is possible for you to resolve this by editing/updating the content.
However if you feel that a user has seriously breached our rules or editing policy and this requires urgent attention from a member of staff, then please specify the issue from the below categories: