- RuneScape Wiki
- Grotworm Lair
|The content on this page is only accessible to RuneScape Members.
If you would like access to this feature in game, please make sure that you have subscribed.
The Grotworm Lair is a large dungeon filled with venomous worms at the bottom of which lies the Queen Black Dragon. Players of all levels can train their Slayer and Combat Skills here, but only the most powerful can try to put the Queen Black Dragon back to sleep.
The Grotworm Lair is found North-East of Rimmington at the White Knight Camp.
Points of Interest
|Exit to level 2||Entrance|
The shortcut leads to Level 3 and requires 50 Agility.
|Entrance to level 1||Exit to Level 3|
|Entrance to level 2||Exit to Queen Black Dragon|
The shortcut leads to Level 1 and requires 50 Agility.
There are no requirements to enter the lair itself, however, to enter the Queen Black Dragon's cave, you will need at least 60 Summoning. You don't have to have completed Song from the Depths, but if you do, you will take less damage from the Queen Black Dragon's attacks.
If you wish to make it all the way to the boss, a high combat level, with combat stats exceeding 90 recommended. High level armour, resources and weaponry recommended. A combat level of over 120 is advisable for those wishing to take on the Queen Black Dragon.
There are no quests to start in the Grotworm Lair.
|Young grotworm (Level 10)||Grotworm (Level 91)|
|Young grotworms are found on level 1.||Grotworms are found on level 2.|
|Mature grotworm (Level 167)|
|Mature grotworms are found on level 3.|
|Giant worms (Level 123)||Tortured soul (level 147)|
|Queen Black Dragon, these worms either use a venomous magic attack, or bite you as their melee attack.||Queen Black Dragon, these wraiths will attack you with several attacks (see below).|
|Giant worms are found on level 4||Tortured souls are found on level 4|
|Queen Black Dragon (Level 2100)|
She will not reconsider any action she takes, and will show no remorse, often summoning the souls of those she has absorbed to fight for her - the Tortured souls.
Defeating the Queen Black Dragon
The Queen Black Dragon boss fight is not a traditional fight - the objective is not to kill her, but to activate 4 magical artefacts that will put her back into a forced sleep. The artefacts can only be activated when the QBD is distracted - during a convulsion phase.
The layout of the 4 artefacts is shown in the image to the left.
There are 4 combat phases, each lasting until she takes a certain amount of damage, at which point she will start a convulsion phase. This is preceded by the message "The Queen Black Dragon's concentration wavers; the [first/second/third/last] artefact is now unguarded.".
While the queen is distracted, click on the appropriate artefact for the phase you are on to activate it. Artefacts that are away from the main platform will have magical bridges appear so that you can reach them. You will take damage while on these platforms so be quick! Note that during the convulsion phase, the queen will shake worms from her rotting flesh so you will be under attack and you cannot attack the queen.
The Queen Black Dragon has several attacks:
- Breath Attack: This will cause dragonfire damage and can affect anywhere on the platform.
- Bite Attack: This attack only happens if you are close enough to her head.
- Head Swipe: The queen whips her head across the platform.
- Fire Wave: This is a wave of fire that will be preceded with the message: “The Queen Black Dragon takes a huge breath.” There will be a gap within the wave so do your best to stand there. The fire wall is quite deep and will do a large amount of damage to you if you stand in its way.
- Hardened carapace: The queen will become resistant to melee damage. This is preceded by the message: “The Queen Black Dragon hardens her carapace”. The queen will be more vulnerable to magic during this defensive maneuver.
- Crystal Form: The queen will become resistant to magical damage. This is preceded by the message: “The Queen Black Dragon takes on the consistency of crystal”. The queen will be more vulnerable to melee during this defensive maneuver.
- Forging Fire: This is a dome of fire that will be preceded with the message: “The Queen Black Dragon gathers her strength to breathe extremely hot flames.”
- Summon Tortured souls: The queen will summon the souls of those she has absorbed to fight for her. She will summon more as you activate more artefacts. This is preceded by the message: “The Queen Black Dragon summons the captive souls of mages.”
- Siphon Life: The queen will drain the life of all existing Tortured souls. This is preceded by the message: “The Queen Black Dragon starts to siphon the energy of her mages.”. Kill them quickly before the queen regains too much health.
The Tortured souls have two attacks:
- Arcane Waves: All the currently alive Tortured souls teleport around you and each release an arcane wave, which homes in on you. It does damage to whatever it hits so try to guide it towards a monster.
- Time Stop: One random Tortured soul will teleport away and begin to cast a spell. This will be preceded with the message: “Kill me... mortal... quickly! HURRY! BEFORE THE SPELL IS COMPLETE!”. If you do not kill them, you will not be able to move for several seconds and all damage you receive until the spell has ended will stack.
Please note that the damage and life bonus values will be divided by 10 (and rounded down) when using the Legacy combat system.
Dragonbone upgrade kit
First dragonkin journal
Second dragonkin journal
Third dragonkin journal
Fourth dragonkin journal
|Cities & Towns|
|Burthorpe • Goblin Village • Falador • Port Sarim • Rimmington • Taverley|
|Asgarnian Ice Dungeon • Asgarnian Ice Resource Dungeon • Borehole • Burthorpe Dungeon • Burthorpe Agility Dungeon • Grotworm Lair • Living Rock Caverns • Mole Hole • Taverley Dungeon • Taverley Resource Dungeon (Blue Dragons) • Taverley Resource Dungeon (Hellhounds) • Taverley Slayer Dungeon|
|Other Places of Interest|
|Black Knights' Fortress • Burthorpe Mine • Clan Camp • Crafting Guild • Crandor • The Dwarven Mine • Ice Mountain • Melzar's Maze • Mudskipper Point • Player-Owned Ports • Rimmington Mine • South Falador Farm • Storm Cellar|
|Asgarnia • Ape Atoll • Dorgesh-Kaan • Entrana • Feldip Hills • The Fremennik Lands • Frozen Wastes • Kandarin • Karamja • Kharidian Desert • Misthalin • Morytania • The Pirate Islands • Tirannwn • Troll Lands • The Void Islands • Wilderness • Wushanko Isles • Zanaris|
|Abbinah • Cosmic Plane • Grim Reaper's office • Enchanted Valley • Fisher Realm • Freneskae • Gorak Plane • Iaia • Infernus • Kethsi • Killerwatt Plane • Naragun • New Domina • Puro-Puro • ScapeRune • Tarddiad • Teragard • Vampyrium • Yu'biusk|
|Places A - Z - Cities and Towns - Dungeons - Other Places of Interest|
|Rules of RuneScape|
|How do I get Started • Controls • Interfaces • Combat • Skills • Clans|
|The Game World|
|Area Guides • History • Races • Pronunciation Guide • Transportation • Terrain Survival Guide • Quests • Activities • Enhancing the Game|
|RuneScape Classic • Old School RuneScape|
|Game Guide||Support Centre|
|All you need to know, and more, about the game world. How to get started and how to develop your character.||Need help with your account? Perhaps the game won't run for you? Help can be found here.|
|Scribbles & Sketches||The Community Hub|
|Artwork, fan fiction and arts and crafts are found in this section.||Confused by templates or want to contribute but not sure what to do? Check here for details on the RuneScape Wiki editing community.|
Report a wiki page
If you have identified content on the wiki that breaches the wiki policies or RuneScape rules it is possible for you to resolve this by editing/updating the content.
However if you feel that a user has seriously breached our rules or editing policy and this requires urgent attention from a member of staff, then please specify the issue from the below categories: