- RuneScape Wiki
King Black Dragon
The King Black Dragon - also known as the KBD - is one of the biggest and strongest dragons in RuneScape, second only to the even bigger and more dangerous Queen Black Dragon. Armed with sharp claws and teeth, three heads that breathe fire, poison and ice, and possessing the ability to use magic attacks, nobody should enter this beast's lair unprepared.
Lurking within his lair below the Lava Maze, it is possible to reach the KBD by activating a handy artefact on the wall northwest of Edgeville. Those who brave the trek through the Wilderness, however, will be rewarded for their courage with a 10% damage boost against this monster. It is possible to solo the King Black Dragon in the Evolution of Combat without the need of super antifires and dragonfire shields, but regular antifires and Protect from Magic are highly recommended in order to survive the kill(s). The easiest way to defeat the KBD is to use melee with either Chaotic maul or with dual Drygore weaponry. For Ranged, it is recommended to use either the Royal crossbow or dual wielding Chaotic Crossbow (assuming adequate dragonfire protection is available). Using magic would be Virtus wand, Chaotic staff, or Armadyl Battlestaff for maximum efficiency. In addition, it is recommended to bring a Beast of Burden along with you to store extra food while soloing as you may take a large amount of damage. If the Pack yak is available for access, 100 winter storage scrolls are recommended. This is because you will only need to bank the important loot and not risk too many scrolls. However, some players may bring more or less scrolls depending on how long they can survive before having to restock on more food or picking up only the expensive drops.
Ranged solo guide
- Head: Pernix cowl, Armadyl helmet, God coif (Armadyl, Saradomin, etc.)
- Body: Pernix body, Armadyl chestplate, Karil's top, Royal d'hide body, other d'hide bodies
- Legs: Pernix chaps, Armadyl plateskirt, Karil's skirt, Royal d'hide chaps, other d'hide chaps
- Weapon: Chaotic crossbow, Armadyl crossbow, Rune crossbow
- Boots: Glaiven boots, Ranger boots, Snakeskin boots
- Gloves: Barrow's gloves, Black spiky vambraces, Regen bracelet
- Ring: Onyx ring (e), Archers' ring (i), Ring of wealth
- Shield (with Super antifire): Illuminated unholy book, Zamorak's unholy book, other god books
- Shield (without super antifire): Anti-dragon shield, Dragonfire shield (ranged)
- Cape: Ava's alerter, Ava's accumulator, Ava's attractor, Fire cape, Skill capes
- Amulet: Amulet of fury, Amulet of ranging, Amulet of glory, Amulet of power
- Aura: Greater poison purge. Poison purge, Vampyrism
Inventory setup (ranged)
The inventory setup you take when using ranged can vary greatly, depending largely on your ranged level, hitpoints level, summoning level, what prayers you have available (normal or curses), your budget, and whether you are going in a team or not.
Melee solo guide
- Head: Slayer helmet (if on task), Verac's helm, Helm of neitiznot. Proselyte sallet,
- Body: Torva platebody. Bandos chestplate. Verac's brassard, Proselyte hauberk
- Legs: Torva platelegs. Bandos tassets. Verac's plateskirt, Proselyte cuisse
- Weapon (without Super antifire): Chaotic Rapier, Chaotic Longsword, Brackish blade, Leaf-bladed sword, Abyssal whip
- Weapon (with Super antifire): Chaotic rapier and Dragon defender, Zamorakian spear
- Boots: Steadfast boots, Dragon boots, Bandos boots
- Gloves: Culinaromancer's gloves 10, Regen bracelet, Black spiky vambraces
- Ring: Onyx ring (e), Berserker ring (e), Warrior ring, Ring of wealth
- Shield: Dragon defender (with super antifire), Dragonfire shield, Anti-dragon shield
- Cape: Any cape with prayer bonus
- Amulet: Amulet of fury, Amulet of glory, Amulet of power, Amulet of strength
- Aura: Greater poison purge. Poison purge, Vampyrism
Inventory setup (melee)
The inventory setup you take when using melee can vary greatly, depending largely on your melee stats (attack/strength/defence/hitpoints), your summoning level, what prayers you have available (normal, curses), and your budget in general.
For someone who is above 90 in attack, strength, and defence, with 95 prayer, and a set of extreme potions/overload, a trip to the kbd could last forever with properly timed player flashes (turmoil and soul split). Many players are capable of this on a slayer task with a slayer helm and a chaotic longsword.
There are eight rolls: one for the tail bone, one for the draconic visage, one for the dragon ornament kits, one for the trophy head, one for the court summons, one for the hard clue scroll, one for the elite clue scroll, and another for the remaining drop table items.
|1||N/A||This is a guaranteed drop.|
|0.1||0.99||Up to a 1 in 10 chance|
|0.01||0.099||Up to a 1 in 100 chance|
|0.001||0.0099||Up to a 1 in 1,000 chance|
|0.0001||0.00099||Up to a 1 in 10,000 chance|
|-||-||Greater than a 1 in 10,000 chance
(Usually a 1 in 100,000 or a 1 in 1,000,000)
^ This will only drop for the Fur 'n' Seek wishlist.
- During the Royal Wedding in 2011, Jagex announced he was getting married to the Kalphite Queen, another high level boss monster. However, this turned out to be a marketing ploy by Diango.
- After the Evolution of Combat, Black Dragon's had a higher combat level than the King Black Dragon.
- During the One of a Kind quest, you find out that the KBD used to be the steed of Hannibus, and that his real name is Shakorexis.
|Preceded By||Strongest monster in RuneScape||Succeeded By|
Report a wiki page
If you have identified content on the wiki that breaches the wiki policies or RuneScape rules it is possible for you to resolve this by editing/updating the content.
However if you feel that a user has seriously breached our rules or editing policy and this requires urgent attention from a member of staff, then please specify the issue from the below categories: