- RuneScape Wiki
Old School RuneScape
- Old School RuneScape
Build up a database of information documenting all areas in the game; create guides to assist your fellow players with that tricky quest or boss; write hints and tips for training in a certain skill.
Starting from a blank slate, it's time to use your knowledge and experience to help those who never experienced the 2007 version of the game.
|Access Old School RuneScape|
Old School RuneScape - or OSRS for short - is a service featuring a version of RuneScape based on how the game was in August 2007.
This Old School RuneScape service was opened on 22nd of February 2013. This was following a poll where players voted if they wish to see the return of an older version of the game.
The poll was up from 15th February 2013 and finished at 00:00 GMT 1st March 2013. Enough votes were cast to reach the first level of the service within 24 hours of the poll being launched, and total amount of players who voted for OSRS to return was 449,351.
Only members may access the service.
On 7th June 2013, Jagex announced that there would be no extra charge for access to Old School Runescape for at least the next 12 months. Any player with active membership will be able to play OSRS.
The Community leads the way
Our mantra for Old School Runescape is that this is your game and you should decide what happens. As long as there is a demand, Old School is here to stay,
The players are really in control of Old School Runescape. We collect players suggestions from in game, the social sites and the forums and see which we can deliver. We then poll the suggestions to the community who can vote on them. If 75% of the voters agree that we should make that change, we make that change as soon as possible.
Some notable suggestions that have been implemented are the Nightmare Zone minigame, F2P-style servers for PKers, imbued Black Masks for slayers, and making wilderness capes usable in F2P-style worlds. To view our past polls, please go here.
If you have an idea for a poll question, you can submit it here.
On 7th June 2013, Jagex announced that there would be no additional charge for members to access Old School Runescape for at least the next year. Old School is so popular that Jagex believe it will be a great, vibrant game for years to come.
Multiple community events have already been implemented in Old School. In March there was a week of Q&As with the Old School team live in game while the Easter Holiday Event happened. May saw the invasion of Varrock by hordes of Goblins, rumour has it that they will be back this summer. Also in May, Jagex started doing live streams on Twitch.TV to help communication with the player base.
There are multiple community events coming in the future, including PKing J-Mods, clues to find rares and cryptic clue hunts.
Old School J-Mods
Mod AshMod Ash is one half of the development team for Old School RuneScape. He has worked for Jagex for over 9 years, and was a keen forum mod before that. Ash has been responsible for such great content as:
- Love Story
- Swan Song
- My Arm's Big Adventure
- That quest where you take a girl down a dungeon and tie her up and there's a special message for using a whip on her.
Mod Mat KMod Mat K is the Community Manager for Old School. He is a veteran of Runescape and can frequently be seen hunting down unsuspecting targets in the wilderness. He has worked extensively with the clan community and high level community, growing both and giving them the support they need to flourish.
Mod ReachMod Reach is the power house of Old School. Having been with Jagex for 3 years, Players have called him 'The executioner' because if you see a bot, he'll squash it, if you find a bug, he'll get it fixed, if you abuse it, he'll hunt you down. Mod Reach keeps the wheels turning and the machine moving, without him we would be truly stuck.
Mod John CMod John C has played RuneScape for more than 10 years and has accumulated over 15,000 hours play time with 4000 of them playing Oldschool. John's our Quality Assurance tester, which means his job is to break stuff that Mods Ash and Reach write. When he's not doing that, he likes stalking bots and giving them what's coming to them.
Every week or so a Developer Blog will be added discussing such things as upcoming changes to the service, new content and bug fixes. You will find Developer Blogs posted regularly within our forums. You can also see some of our past blogs on the Developer's Blogs page.
Patch notes are a list of updated game content, either because the item was broken, or because its functionality has changed. Below are the most recent patch notes. You can see the patch notes archived from the beginning of Old School RuneScape on the archive page.
- 13th February 2014
- For the week of Valentine's Day, the Lumbridge Cook is needs a little help impressing his girlfriend, in return for a small edible reward.
- The following bugs have been fixed:
- The game's click-interpretation system has been rewritten to try and improve its behaviour when clicking multiple items rapidly.
- The log-out timer that kicks players offline after 6 hours will now do it whether or not they are in combat.
- Slayer masters no longer assign Earth Warriors or Spiritual creatures to players who lacked the Agility or quest requirements to access those targets.
- The 'Suq-A-Nother One' Slayer reward did not increase the size of the Suqah assignments correctly if they had been assigned by Nieve rather than Duradel. It now gives an increase from either.
- The minimap orb buttons can no longer be clicked while the side-panel interfaces are unavailable, such as during certain cutscenes.
- The Castle Wars mage hat's inventory icon has moved 5 pixels higher.
- 20th February 2014
- In celebration of Old School RuneScape's 1st anniversary, the city of Prifddinas has been opened for a mammoth party, with gifts.
- Ava's devices now have a 'Commune' option. This allows you to commune with your undead chicken, so you can ask it to stop gathering random metal junk while you've got it equipped.
- Left-clicking on your cannon will now let you reload it, even if it isn't currently firing.
- The middle mouse-button can now be used to rotate the game camera. For players who'd prefer to use that button for clicking instead, there's a new button on the Options menu to restore the previous behaviour. The volume controls have moved to a separate Audio Options panel to accommodate this.
- The Slayer helm (i) and all versions of the black mask (i) now offer a 15% damage boost to Magic damage against your assigned Slayer target, like they already do for melee and Ranging.
- The Slayer helm (i) now has a +3 mage attack bonus, a +3 range attack bonus and a +10 mage defence bonus.
- Players no longer need to wait 30 seconds when world-hopping.
- The combat stance system has been overhauled to make players less likely to get put in a Defensive stance unexpectedly when switching weapons or autocasting spells.
- The granite maul no longer performs its special attack against the wrong target or through walls.
- The Valentine's Day event has closed, and its items have been removed from the game.
- 27th February 2014
- The Trident of the Seas can now cast its spell on players in Castle Wars and the TzHaar Fight Pit.
- When a player dies while carrying essence pouches, the pouches no longer vanish automatically. They can now fall to the floor, visible only to their owner.
- High-level farmers can now get more roots when digging up a tree patch. One extra root is given for every 8 levels above the tree's Farming requirement, up to a total of four.
- When picking fruit from a Farming patch, your character will now automatically continue picking until the patch runs out of fruit or your inventory fills up.
- The Music Loop button now remembers its setting over logout.
- Proselyte cuisses and tassets have had their Prayer bonus increased from +5 to +6.
- The bunnies south-east of Rellekka can now drop the rabbit bone required for the Odd Old Man's list.
- The following bugs have been fixed:
- The granite maul's special attack button has been adjusted to make it more reliable when spam-clicked, and to fix the button's highlight which wasn't deactivating correctly.
- The graceful gloves can now protect you from harm when picking belladonna.
- 6th March 2014
- When making spell tablets in a player-owned house, the lectern now offers options for Make-X and Make-All.
- Bloodveld and Dark beasts now have a chance of dropping hard clue scrolls.
- The Slayer ring now offers a teleport to the Dark Beast tunnels, after Mourning's Ends Pt II is complete.
- Clue scrolls and caskets now state their levels in their names.
- A minigame grouping chat has been added for finding POH Parties.
- The Pyramid Plunder overlay now displays your time remaining more accurately.
- Pharoah sceptres now show their remaining charges.
- The party in Prifddinas has come to an end, and the city is once again closed to visitors. The birthday cake has been removed from the game.
- 13th March 2014
- The Wilderness Rejuvenation update has been released, featuring:
- Venenatis the spider, Vet'ion the skeletal champion and Callisto the bear, dropping the new dragon pickaxe.
- A Crazed Archaeologist, a Chaos Fanatic and Scorpia the Scorpion Queen, dropping shards of new shields: the Odium Ward and Malediction Ward.
- New higher=level rogues, dark warriors and bandits.
- The Wilderness red dragons have been replaced with lava dragons. Lava dragon bones give a 3x prayer bonus when buried on their island.
- Ents, which turn into tree trunks when killed, allowing players to chop logs in banknote form.
- Red chinchompas, in an area where hunters may use one more trap than their normal limit.
- Three new runite rocks on the Ice Plateau.
- Dark crabs, which may be fished using dark bait, which is dropped by various zombies in the Wilderness.
- Level 84 Thieving chests behind the Rogues' Castle.
- A new resource area, guarded by Mandrith who charges a fee for entry.
- The Fountain of Rune has emerged in the north-east of the Wilderness, allowing spells to be cast without any runes, but giving zero XP.
- A new God Wars Dungeon, where aviansies drop adamant bars in banknote form, and all other creatures have a chance of dropping the Ecumenical Key. The key grants access to any of the boss rooms in the main GWD without the need for a kill-count, and is destroyed when used.
- A mysterious force around the Demonic Ruins recharges your Prayer slowly. This feature is available on F2P-style worlds; all other features are not.
- All creatures in the Wilderness drop a Looting Bag. Tradeable items may be stored in the bank while you're in the Wilderness. They may only be removed if the bag is taken to a bank. If you die with the bag, it is lost, and its contents are dropped to the ground.
- A new lever in Edgeville teleports players to the ruins near the Mage Arena.
- A tally is now kept of all the player-kills you achieve and all the times you are PKed in the Wilderness, beyond a certain level, allowing your kills:deaths ratio to be displayed on screen. An option on a notice board by Edgeville Bank allows this to be shown or hidden.
- Crystal equipment now reverts to a seed when dropped on death.
- Untradeable items dropped on death in the Wilderness beyond level 20 are turned into small amounts of cash.
- The Wilderness Rejuvenation update has been released, featuring:
- 20th March 2014
- The Falador hairdresser now offers 26 new styles of hair and beard, as well as offering all the colours that were available on Tutorial Island.
- Thessalia's clothes shop now offers 37 new costume options.
- Some adjustments have beem nade to last week's Wilderness update:
- The level 129 rogues outside the Rogues' Castle can no longer be lured into the building or out of the keep.
- The drop tables for Callisto, Vet'ion, Venenatis and the lava dragons have been buffed.
- There are now more red chinchompas in the Wilderness, and the scenery has been shifted to help keep them together.
- Level 18 zombies in the Graveyard of Shadows now drop dark fishing bait.
- Monsters that drop dark fishing bait will now do so more frequently.
- Resource respawn rates in Mandrith's resource area have been increased.
- The ecumenical key now has a more consistent drop rate.
- The following bugs have been fixed:
- Run energy now restores at a more consistent rate while players are charging orbs at an obelisk.
- The Wilderness level display has been returned to the correct position on PvP worlds.
- The dragonfire shield can now perform its special attack while its owner is wielding a Trident of the Seas.
- Manta rays had dropped off the Cooking and Fishing skill guides.
- A stray minimap icon has been removed from Seers' Village.
- The Trident of the Seas no longer sticks to Guthan's chainskirt on female characters.
- The bolt enchantment interface now shows the correct graphic for diamond bolts, and no longer allows the rune count text to overflow.
- Magic boxes can now work on GWD imps.
- Boarding the Pest Control landers will no longer bring up incorrect information about your score in your last game.
- The kills:deaths ratio board in Edgeville can now show more text without overflowing.
Old School On The Web
The poll to bring back Old School Runescape was released on the 15th of February. Jagex announced that the more players that voted for the return, the more support it would get. The final result of 449,351 votes fell just short of the 500,000 target so Jagex CEO Mark Gerhard upgraded some elements of the service beyond the 250,000 vote level. This resulted in including the gradual addition of anti-botting technology and community polls to decide on any changes to the game to the support package.
The final poll result gave the following service:
|Old School Features||Votes|
|2007 Server Launch?|
|Level of on-going development||Small team|
|Cost of Service||Free **|
|Level of maintenance||Basic|
|Polls to decide new content|
** Free as a members benefit for at least the first 6 months, starting March 1st 2013
The original features list (with the column highlighted green showing what poll could have resulted in) was as follows:
Since the launch players have been able to take part in multiple votes to change or add content. It was agreed with the community that any change to the game would require a majority of 75% of those voting to agree to it. Some notable votes included F2P style worlds being made available for the F2P PKing community, the return of rare items and the decision to not change unidentified herbs to grimy herbs. If you want to see a full list of polls and results, go here.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What’s this whole “Old School RuneScape” thing, then?
We’ve restored a version of RuneScape from August 2007, and have brought it back as an additional service for fans of the retro game. The main RuneScape game continues unaffected and players are welcome to play both.
2. How do I play Old School RuneScape? Do I need to register for a new account?
You access Old School RuneScape using your existing account details from the main game, so you won’t need create a new account if you’ve been a player in the past. However this will be a separate avatar from the main RuneScape game – each service has a separate ‘save game’, despite being accessed through the same account details.
The service is only available to members.
3. I used to have a RuneScape account from back in the day, but I can’t remember my details. How can I get these back?
Visit the account recovery support page to find out how.
4. I used to play RuneScape in the old days. Can I resume my existing progress?
No. Everyone starts afresh on this Old School service. You can, of course, continue your progress in the (much evolved) main RuneScape game.
5. When does the free month start and end?
The free month of access for members will start when the poll concludes on March 1st and ends on March 31st (inclusive). Note that this is in addition to February's Early Access period, which was also free to voting members.
6. How much does Old School RuneScape cost?
Right now, it is free for members, and will be for the next 6 months (starting March 1st 2013). If the service remains popular and grows, no further fee will be introduced. A decision on this will be made in September 2013.
7. Have you altered anything in this resurrected version from how it used to be?
Regular polls are run, in which players vote on what content should and should not be added to the game. Anything that scores 75% support is developed and released. Bugs and game integrity problems are also addressed as they arise.
8. Does the main RuneScape game link into Old School RuneScape service?
There are a few ways in which the two services connect:
- Both use the same account credentials to log in.
- Both use the same display name (avatar name).
- The friends chat & private message systems work across both services.
- Any mute or ban carries across both services.
However, your avatar progress, items, bank content, wealth or any material element of the game is entirely separate, as is each game’s economy.
9. Are the rules and community etiquette different between the main RuneScape and Old School RuneScape?
No. Our modern guidelines govern both games. This includes our stance against cheating, bug abusing and botting, against which we have a zero tolerance policy. Anyone behaving in this way will be permanently banned from both services.
10. What happens if I encounter a bug in Old School RuneScape, can I report it to get it fixed?
Yes. Please, go here to find out how to report issues you've spotted to us.
11. Does Jagex Account Guardian (JAG) work with Old School RuneScape?
For more detailed questions relating to the Old School RuneScape service take a read of the transcript of the recent Q&A on the topic.
Community & Forums
Within the RuneScape Forums exist several forums dedicated to Old School RuneScape and its community.
- Old School RuneScape
- Old School RuneScape General - Old school servers are here! Discuss Old School RuneScape here.
- Old School Clans - Come here to find and form clans
- Old School Advice - A place to share and receive advice in Old School RuneScape
- Old School Feedback & Poll Suggestions - A place to give and share feedback on Old School RuneScape
- Old School RuneScape Marketplace
- Armour and Weapons - Buy and sell all armour and weapons here
- Runes and Ammo - Buy and sell runes, talismans, arrows, cannonballs etc.
- Food and Potions - Buy and sell food, potions and other supplies here
- Ores and Bars - Buy and sell ores and bars only!
- Crafting and Construction - Trade gems, flax, leather, planks, furniture etc.
- Miscellaneous - Buy and sell items that don't fit into the other Marketplace forums
These forums are open to qualifying Members with access to the RuneScape Forums.
Old School RuneScape Wiki
|Getting Started||Controls||Area Guides|
|Find out how to get started on the road to Old School RuneScapemastery.||Learn how to move around the world of Old School RuneScape.||Travel the world from the comfort of the area guides.|
|Learn about the ancient art of combat in Old School RuneScape.||See what skills you can perform in Old School RuneScape.||View details on the quests in Old School RuneScape.|
|Learn about different shop owners, quest characters, and more.||Knowing is half the battle. Learn about the monsters of Old School RuneScape.||View a complete list of items in Old School RuneScape.|
|Minigames||Miscellaneous Guides||Rules of RuneScape|
|See what exciting and rewarding minigames await you.||View our game guides and learn new methods and strategies.||Information about Jagex's rules common to all versions of RuneScape.|
|Game Guide||Support Centre|
|All you need to know, and more, about the game world. How to get started and how to develop your character.||Need help with your account? Perhaps the game won't run for you? Help can be found here.|
|Scribbles & Sketches||The Community Hub|
|Artwork, fan fiction and arts and crafts are found in this section.||Confused by templates or want to contribute but not sure what to do? Check here for details on the RuneScape Wiki editing community.|
Report a wiki page
If you have identified content on the wiki that breaches the wiki policies or RuneScape rules it is possible for you to resolve this by editing/updating the content.
However if you feel that a user has seriously breached our rules or editing policy and this requires urgent attention from a member of staff, then please specify the issue from the below categories: