- RuneScape Wiki
- RuneScape 3
RuneScape 3 (RS3) is an enhanced version of RuneScape 2 - also known as RuneScape HD. This major upgrade was launched on Monday July 22nd, bringing features such as a new engine, customisable interfaces and new content.
- Beta HTML5 game client: The next generation of browser technology. It brings a big step up in visual quality with improving lighting, draw distance and colour, loading into your browser in moments, without the need for plug-ins or Java.
- New audio engine: High-fidelity audio and music, featuring full orchestral pieces written by BAFTA Award winner James Hannigan and played by the Slovak Symphony Orchestra.
- Seasonal high scores: Compete against your friends and the rest of the RuneScape community to rank on weekly and monthly leaderboards.
- Dawn of the Sixth Age: The gods of RuneScape are returning. Entrusted as World Guardians, players have the power to decide which gods will win and lose in their struggles for supremacy.
- The Battle for Lumbridge: An epic-scale world event which will shake the foundations of Gielinor, and one which is driven entirely by your actions. Week by week, your choices will shape the flow of battle and the fate of characters, locations and stories, and the ultimate outcome will set the course for RuneScape’s future.
- New Interface System: Designed for ease of use and massive depth of customisation, the NIS lets you quickly change RuneScape’s UI according to your play style at any given moment. It also includes feature upgrades such as key binding and a resizable minimap to put even more choice at your fingertips.
- Upgraded camera: Overhauled and updated, a new in-game camera gives you the freedom to view Gielinor like never before.
- New community website: Customise your community experience to your specifications, with a new easy-to-navigate website focused on your needs.
- Divination: Prepare to unlock divine powers from your surroundings with a new skill for RuneScape 3, arriving a few weeks after launch.
1. Can I still play RuneScape 2/HD?
As with RuneScape HD, RuneScape 2 has evolved into RuneScape 3. This is a continuation of the current game, not a different product.
2. Do I need a new account? Will I have to restart my character?
No, everything is a continuation of the current game, with all of your existing progress, achievements, items, etc.
3. Can I still play RuneScape using Java?
Yes, everyone will have a choice of client (HTML5 or Java) and your existing shortcuts and downloadable client will still work.
4. Can I play on mobile devices?
While the HTML5 client will technically work on some mobile browsers, it will not be optimised nor will the control scheme be updated for touch screen at this point.
5. Can I used the existing interface system or fixed window mode?
Not exactly, the new interface system will replace the existing one, but we will provide presets which mimic both old styles of interface as much as possible.
6. What browsers will run the HTML5 client?
At launch only Google Chrome will run the HTML5 client. We expect Firefox and Internet Explorer to be updated with full HTML5 support later in the year.
7. Will there be any extra charges for RuneScape 3 membership?
No, your membership will work the same way as it did with RuneScape 2; there will be no additional charges.
8. What are the minimum PC specifications for running HTML5?
In order to play RuneScape 3 in the HTML5 client you will need to:
- Download and install the latest version of Google Chrome. This is currently the only supported browser.
- Download and install the latest drivers for your graphics card from the manufacturer's website.
We would suggest having an Intel i series CPU and at least an NVidia 200 series graphics card (or the AMD equivalent).
9. Where can I find suggested set-ups for the New Interface System?
You can choose from four preset layouts by entering Edit Mode and selecting one of the 4 options from the drop down menu. These four presets (and the two which you can edit yourself) offer a variety of looks and positions for your interfaces.
For players looking to have a minimal, fixed-width style layout, choose the Old School Layout. For players with a larger monitor, the Skilling Layout might be more your style.
For more information about the NIS and what you can do with it see the Interfaces page.
10. Will the HTML5 client be completely finished for the launch of RuneScape 3?
The HTML5 client will be stabilised with performance improvements for the launch of RuneScape 3 but we're going to keep it tagged as a BETA for the coming months as ongoing optimisations are made.
There are also other factors beyond our control which will cause issues for some, such as the incomplete or not fully optimised support for HTML5 and WebGL from web browsers and graphics drivers.
Having said that, the majority of you should find that the client works well and you will suffer no performance issues from using it.
- RuneScape 3: Dawn of the 6th Age
- RuneScape 3:Community catchup
- RuneScape 3:The story so far
- RuneScape 3:NIS moves into beta
- RuneScape 3:Website
- RuneScape 3:The Future Sound of RuneScape 3
- RuneScape 3 Trailer
- RuneScape 3:New Interface System Alpha
- RuneScape 3:Global Reveal
- Behind the Scenes - The Bonus Edition!
- RuneScape 3:Beta Programme Q&A
- RuneScape 3:More of your questions
Main article: RuneScape 3 Beta
The initially closed BETA was available to all Gold & Silver Premium members with the chance for normal members to register interest in testing. The BETA began on the 17th April 2013, and sign ups were open between the 3rd April & 10th April. Some players were allowed to test a new customisable interface system that was in ALPHA stages from the 24th April.
The BETA was run on live servers in the current game, as opposed to separate servers as with the Evolution of Combat BETA. Due to this, any levels and xp gained during the BETA were on your RuneScape character.
The following images were released as teasers for RuneScape 3, showing off the new engine and new technology.
- RuneScape 3 was originally announced in a special edition of the Behind the Scenes video series on YouTube - Behind the Scenes - The Bonus Edition!.
|Development history - Show/Hide|
Report a wiki page
If you have identified content on the wiki that breaches the wiki policies or RuneScape rules it is possible for you to resolve this by editing/updating the content.
However if you feel that a user has seriously breached our rules or editing policy and this requires urgent attention from a member of staff, then please specify the issue from the below categories: