- RuneScape Wiki
RuneScape 3 Beta
- RuneScape 3 Beta
|This article contains information about content that was in beta testing, and has since been applied to the live game. The information in this article may therefore be out of date and does not necessarily reflect the content of the live game.
This page will no longer be maintained with current information but is here for historical purposes.
For details on the live game, please refer to the Game Guide.
|The current beta content can be accessed here when available: Beta.|
|The live game may be accessed at any time here: Game.|
Any feedback that you have on the beta should be added to the Beta Feedback and Discussion forum and any bugs that cannot be reported in-game should be posted in the Beta Bug Reports forum. There are several different forums, so make sure you add your feedback to the correct section.
So Whats Different?
With the initial beta, the only difference you will notice is in the graphics. No content has changed for this stage. Things you may notice are:
- You can log in much quicker - loading of assets is done after you login rather than before
- You can see much farther - the draw distance has been extended so you can see more of your surroundings
- You can see the sky - with the expansion of the draw distance, we've added sky boxes
- You can see improved water and shadows - the world seems much more alive with real-time reflections from the new water shader and dynamic shadows
- You can see a wider range of colours - the colour palette has been expanded so the world appears more vivid
Another change to RS3 is how you go about reporting bugs. This is now done through the game itself - there's no need to report a bug through the website unless you've found a problem with the website or Old School RuneScape.
Image:abuse.gif To report a bug using the in-game report interface you need to click on the report button on the chat interface. This will allow you to choose whether you want to report a player or a bug. Click on 'report a bug' to open the bug report interface.
The first thing you need to do is choose a category and subcategory that best describes your bug. The drop down boxes give a list of the categories, just choose the most appropriate category from these lists.
Next you need to describe the bug. Think about:
- What happened
- What you were doing when it happened
In the final box, explain how you made the bug occur again. If you couldn't make the bug happen again, leave this section.
When you are ready, press 'proceed' to send us your bug.
This new feature will be added to the main game at the end of the month.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who can access the beta worlds?
The initial closed beta - where participants can test out the new HTML5 engine - starts on April 17th 2013.
The beta will be available to all Gold & Silver Premium Members and anyone who registered interest in the beta that has a confirmation email from us.
Note that the alpha and the beta are separate tests and, with the exception of Gold & Silver Premium Members, you will get access to either one or the other.
New participants will be added as time goes on so keep an eye out for a confirmation email.
Members who were not successful in being chosen for the beta will have a chance to preview the new features before the launch of RuneScape 3.
2. How do beta servers work?
The beta will be run on live servers in the current game. Due to this, any levels and XP gained during the beta will be on your RuneScape 2 character.
3. I have access to the beta, what are the requirements to play it?
In order to play the beta you will need to:
- Download and install the latest version of Google Chrome. This is currently the only supported browser.
- Download and install the latest drivers for your graphics card from the manufacturer's website.
In order to play the beta we would suggest having an Intel i series CPU and at least an NVidia 200 series graphics card (or the AMD equivalent).
4. Okay, I'm in and playing the beta - now what?
While you're playing, please report any bugs you encounter, and give us any other feedback you have on the forums. This is a golden opportunity for you to tell us what you think and how you'd like us to improve on a core component of the game, so please tell us as much as you can. We're particularly interested in the following:
- How does the world look? Explore Gielinor, taking advantage of the staggering new draw distances to take in some spectacular views.
- How do the graphical settings affect this? Try the various settings available for reflections, bloom, draw distance and shadows. Find out what works best on your hardware, and let us know so we can optimise the client accordingly.
5. As I'm playing the beta with my RS2 account, what happens if I encounter a bug and lose items or progress?
The beta is a work in progress, and there will be bugs. We can't replace any items lost as a result of using the beta, so if you're planning to do something particularly risky in-game, it's best to log out and do so through the normal game.
6. The models, textures and animations are loading one by one and very slowly. What's happening?
Currently the beta/alpha game's performance in terms of load times is not optimal and this will be more noticeable for mid to lower end PCs. Details such as it being more obvious that game assets will load one by one will be far more noticeable on these PCs. As these items are loaded, some of the information will be stored on your computer so loading these items should be quicker next time.
We are aware of this and we will use the data provided by the beta and alpha tests to help improve these load times.
|Game Guide||Support Centre|
|All you need to know, and more, about the game world. How to get started and how to develop your character.||Need help with your account? Perhaps the game won't run for you? Help can be found here.|
|Scribbles & Sketches||The Community Hub|
|Artwork, fan fiction and arts and crafts are found in this section.||Confused by templates or want to contribute but not sure what to do? Check here for details on the RuneScape Wiki editing community.|
Report a wiki page
If you have identified content on the wiki that breaches the wiki policies or RuneScape rules it is possible for you to resolve this by editing/updating the content.
However if you feel that a user has seriously breached our rules or editing policy and this requires urgent attention from a member of staff, then please specify the issue from the below categories: