- RuneScape Wiki
Runecrafting - The Basics
- Runecrafting - The Basics
|The content on this page is mostly available for all players.|
|There could be some parts within this section that are for members only. These will be indicated accordingly with a icon.|
Runes are the main components of casting magical spells. Using different combinations of runes will allow a player to cast different spells. To get runes, it takes skill and knowledge in the art of runecrafting. Skilled RuneCrafters are able to use their abilities to harness the power of altars and retrieve magical runes, which can be used to cast spells.
The first thing you will need is some rune essence. This is the only compulsory item for Runecrafting. You can find more details by reading The Rune Essence Mine. Alternatively, you could purchase rune essence from other players.
Before you can craft certain runes, you need to meet some requirements. To craft cosmic runes you will have to complete The Lost City, to craft blood runes you must complete the Legacy of Seergaze quest, and to craft death runes you will need to complete Mourning's Ends Part II.
Runecrafting takes place at rune altars. Each type of rune altar converts rune essence into runes of the altar's type. For instance, the fire altar will convert rune essence into fire runes.
There are various ways to access the rune altars. Players that want to access the rune altars through the mysterious ruins need a matching talisman (or tiara). However, players using the Abyss to runecraft do not need a talisman or tiara to access rune altars.
Rune Essence and Pure Essence
- Rune essence can be used to make air, water, earth, fire, mind and body runes only.
- Rune essence cannot be used to make member-only craftable runes such as law or combination runes.
- Mining on free worlds, or while having a Mining level under 30 on a members' world, will not produce pure essence but rune essence instead.
- Rune essence may be traded to any other player.
- Pure essence can be used in Runecrafting without restriction on which runes can be created given the player has the necessary level.
- Mining on a members' world, with a Mining level over 30, will produce pure essence rather than rune essence.
- On members' worlds, monsters which would normally drop rune essence will drop pure essence instead.
- Quests or situations where rune essence would be used will accept either pure essence or rune essence.
- Pure essence may be traded to any other player.
The following people are the only ones that can teleport you to the essence mines:
- Wizard Sedridor on the lower level of the Wizards' Tower south of Draynor Village.
- Aubury in the rune shop in Varrock, just south of the east bank.
- Wizard Cromperty in East Ardougne, just to the north-east of the Marketplace.
- Wizard Distentor in the Magic Guild in Yanille.
- The gnome Brimstail in a cave in the Tree Gnome Stronghold (north-west of Ardougne). To find his cave, head north-west in the Stronghold until you see a small bridge on the west side of the Stronghold. Brimstail's cave is inside a large hollow rock a little to the east of that bridge.
Rune essence and pure essence can be obtained in the following ways:
- Can be mined from the rune essence mine
- There is also a rune essence mine on Lunar Isle, although you must have completed Lunar Diplomacy to gain access to the mine.
- Pure essence is dropped by certain monsters e.g. Banshees.
- Bought from other players.
- From the wicked hood, obtained from Tam McGrubor in Varrock.
|Agility • Dungeoneering • Slayer • Thieving|
|Constitution • Magic • Melee (Attack, Defence, Strength) • Prayer • Ranged • Summoning|
|Cooking • Construction • Crafting • Firemaking • Fletching • Herblore • Runecrafting • Smithing|
|Divination • Farming • Fishing • Hunter • Mining • Woodcutting|
|Rules of RuneScape|
|How do I get Started • Controls • Interfaces • Combat • Skills • Clans|
|The Game World|
|Area Guides • History • Races • Pronunciation Guide • Transportation • Terrain Survival Guide • Quests • Activities • Enhancing the Game|
|RuneScape Classic • Old School RuneScape|
|Game Guide||Support Centre|
|All you need to know, and more, about the game world. How to get started and how to develop your character.||Need help with your account? Perhaps the game won't run for you? Help can be found here.|
|Scribbles & Sketches||The Community Hub|
|Artwork, fan fiction and arts and crafts are found in this section.||Confused by templates or want to contribute but not sure what to do? Check here for details on the RuneScape Wiki editing community.|
Report a wiki page
If you have identified content on the wiki that breaches the wiki policies or RuneScape rules it is possible for you to resolve this by editing/updating the content.
However if you feel that a user has seriously breached our rules or editing policy and this requires urgent attention from a member of staff, then please specify the issue from the below categories: