- RuneScape Wiki
- Treasure Hunter
Playing Treasure Hunter
- Earned Keys – Keys are earned through certain activities within the game e.g. monster drops and quests.
- Daily Keys – Every free-to-play player receives 1 free daily key each day and members receive 2; these keys expire if not used before midnight GMT.
- Purchased Keys – Extra keys can be purchased at an additional cost.
You can find out more about the different methods for obtaining keys below.
When purchasing keys you are given bonus items of Hearts of Ice which can be used to freeze some of the prize categories.
Packages of keys (and their included Hearts of Ice) start from £3.50. For a full list of prices, and the ability to purchase these packages, view the billing page.
Please be aware that certain prizes on Treasure Hunter can only be claimed and used by players with an active membership subscription.
To use your keys, open up the extras interface and click on the Treasure Hunter icon. Then, choose one of the five treasure chests to unlock with your keys, and your prize will be revealed. Each time you play, you'll see a selection of items, randomly chosen from a huge cache of loot.
The interface consists of three areas: the top information bar, the central treasure chest area, and the bottom prize area.
The information bar lets you:
- Choose how many chests to open, and therefore how many keys to use, at a time (1 or 10). Click the radio buttons to choose.
- View the number of keys and Hearts of Ice that you have. Hovering over the key icon will show you how many keys of each type you have.
- Buy more keys (this will log you out of the game) - see below for more details
- Earn more keys through SupersonicAds - see below for more details
- Freeze categories using your Hearts of Ice - see below for more details.
- extras interface or the treasure hunter icon.
The central treasure chest area is where you pick your prize. Simply click on any of the five chests to reveal what is inside. Note that when using 10 keys at a time, a new set of prizes will be generated for each key.
|Fairly common item|
|Very rare item|
The bottom prize area shows you the current selection of prizes that could be in the chests. The general rarity of an item is indicated by the gem used. Please be aware that the gems do not represent the actual chances of winning a certain item, but indicate the general categories of rarity.
Hovering over a reward will offer a tooltip that shows the name of the item, a description of it, whether it is a members item, what rarity it is and what category it is from. Food, armour and weapons will have extra details. The tool tips for food will include details on how much they heal, whereas the tooltips for weapons and armour will show their statistics.
Sometimes, a sixth chest will be added to the interface. The bonus chest is special in that you can always see what is inside the chest and you can open it any time you like, but it must be charged first.
The bonus chest is charged by opening at least 5 chests in the normal manner. The chest can hold up to 10 charges at any one time, which allows it to be opened twice. As with normal chests, as soon as you open any chest, a new set of rewards is added to the game so you can always wait until something you prefer appears in the bonus chest.
When opening the bonus chest you'll be able to choose where to send this reward (see below) as usual. Once the bonus chest has been opened however, the chest charge - indicated by a progress bar just above the chest itself - will reset to 0 and must gain at least 5 charges before it can be opened again.
As an introduction to the bonus chest promotion, the chest will be charged and will contain two medium prismatic lamps. You'll need to open the bonus chest before you can continue to play Treasure Hunter, even if you do not intend to use the bonus chest.
Claiming a Reward
Your potential rewards are randomly chosen from a number of categories, 1 item per category. The 5 chests are then filled from this list of potential rewards. Categories can be excluded from the chests see below).
To claim a reward, simply click on a chest. When you have clicked on a chest, you will be shown the rewards interface. Here you must claim your reward before you will be allowed another game (if you have another key). You will be given the following options:
- Backpack - places the item in your backpack. Note that coins will go to your coin pouch.
- Bank - places the item in your bank. Note that XP lamps cannot go to your bank, and coins will go into your coin pouch.
- Cash Out - discards the reward and gives you the coin value for it (you can also press 'D' on your keyboard).
- Claim later - for if you have no space in your bank/backpack. Note that you will not be able to play again until the item is claimed.
Note that although free players may claim members only items (with the exception of the 2,000,000 coin prize), you will not be able to use the items.
It is possible to freeze categories to prevent you from winning items from that category. For example, if you have already reached level 99 in Farming, you may not want Farming related items, so you could freeze the farming category. Doing so is made possible with Hearts of Ice.
Hearts of Ice are used each time a treasure chest is opened, so if you have frozen 4 categories, 4 hearts will be used every time you open a treasure chest.
Note that items from frozen categories can still be placed into a chest, but if won, a new item will be chosen for you from an unfrozen category.
To freeze a category, click the 'categories' button in the top-right corner of the Treasure Hunter interface. You will then be presented with the interface shown to the right. Click on the icon for the category you would like to freeze, and you will no longer receive items from that category. Click the category again to unfreeze it. You can only freeze 10 categories at a time.
Hearts of Ice are included as bonus items when purchasing keys. They can also be earned for completing quests, and daily challenges, and redeeming key tokens and double keys tokens. You will also earn 5 Hearts of Ice for opening 5 chests in one day - there is no limit on how many you can earn through this method.
You are also given some Hearts of Ice for free each day. Members get 2 free hearts rather than just 1. Unlike daily keys, Hearts of Ice do not expire if they haven't been used.
There are three options here:
- Skip intro animation - When ticked, you will no longer see the treasure boxes filled by Alice.
- Hide Hearts of Ice warning - When ticket, you will no longer see a warning when you have too few Hearts of Ice to freeze the number of categories you have selected.
- Autoredeem key tokens - When ticked, any key tokens found while skilling will not be sent to your backpack, but instead automatically added Treasure Hunter. You will still receive key tokens in your backpack if you have already reached your limit for key tokens.
There are several ways to get keys: purchased keys, daily keys and earned keys.
You can purchase more keys via our website and there are various key packages available. To do this, simply click the "buy keys" button within the Treasure Hunter interface. click here to go to the billing page, directly.
From here you will be taken to a specific page where you can choose your preferred payment method and the number of keys you'd like to buy. Fill in your details, and once your purchase has been successfully completed, the keys will be added to your account. Extra keys can also be bought direct from the RuneScape billing pages.
Note that, due to the way the game interfaces with our website, you will be logged out of the game as the purchase interface is loaded. This is normal. You will also be unable to open the purchase interface during certain minigames.
You can exit the purchase interface at any time by clicking on the red cross in the top right corner. Note that you will have to login to the game again if you wish to continue playing.
If you've bought extra keys, you've got a whole six months to use them before they expire. The maximum number of keys that you can buy is 600, if you want to buy more keys, you must use some of the ones you have already bought.
If the keys you have bought have not arrived in-game, this is most likely to be a payment issue. For further support with this head to the Payments section of our Support Centre and select the payment method you used - you'll be able to find out what is happening with your purchase in no time.
Earned keys are given for certain activities within the game:
- Monster drops: Most monsters around the world, with the exception of creatures in minigames and Dungeoneering, have a rare chance of dropping a key token.
- Non-combat skilling activities: Any activity that can score you a Shattered Heart strange rock also has a separate, rare chance to get a key token.
- Weekly Distractions & Diversions: Each week, one of four D&Ds will give a guaranteed key token for completing a particular action within the D&D. Regular details of which D&D will earn you this reward can be found on the Treasure Hunter reward screen. The four D&Ds, and the required actions within them, are as follows:
- Circus: Complete any one of the four performances: Magic, Ranged, Agility or Firemaking to earn a key token.
- Penguin Hide and Seek: Exchange penguin points for coins or XP by speaking to Larry or Chuck to get a key token.
- Evil Tree: Attack the evil tree to receive a key token.
- Shooting Star: Mine any star, and receive XP from doing so to get a key token.
- The Monthly D&D – Troll Invasion: Starting your first Troll Invasion attempt of the month, either as a combatant or a skiller, will earn you a key token.
- Quests: Whenever you complete a quest, you will receive 2 keys – in addition to the ordinary quest reward, of course.
Earned keys do not expire, but you can only earn 10 per day (this is also the maximum number of earned keys you can have at any one time).
Note that you can also earn keys through SupersonicAds and these keys have no limit to the amount you can earn.
Each day you are provided with a key. Members get 2 free keys rather than just 1. Daily keys expire if not used before midnight GMT.
Your potential rewards are randomly chosen from the tables below, 1 item per category. The 5 chests are then filled from this list of potential rewards. Categories can be excluded from the chests through the use of Hearts of Ice (an item from this category can still be placed into a chest, but if won, your Heart of Ice will activate and choose a new item for you from an unfrozen category).
Some items are grouped and only one item from that group will be available to you depending on your level in that skill. For example, if you are level 15 and get the group 1 item from the Constitution category, the item that will appear is a cod.
Please be aware that certain prizes can only be claimed, and used, by players with an active membership subscription.
For a list of the rewards, see Treasure Hunter/Rewards.
|Barbarian Assault • Blast Furnace • The Fishing Trawler • Gnome Ball • The Great Orb Project • Heist • Pest Control • Shades of Mort'ton • Trouble Brewing • Vinesweeper|
|Brimhaven Agility Arena • Conquest • Games Room • Dominion Tower • Flash Powder Factory • Impetuous Impulses • Mage Training Arena • Player-Owned Ports • Pyramid Plunder • Mobilising Armies • Tai Bwo Wannai Clean-up • Temple Trekking / Burgh de Rott Ramble • Treasure Hunter • TzHaar Fight Cave • TokHaar Fight Kiln • TokHaar Fight Cauldron|
|Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza • Castle Wars • Clan Wars • The Crucible • The Duel Arena • Fist of Guthix • Soul Wars • Stealing Creation • TzHaar Fight Pit|
|Rules of RuneScape|
|How do I get Started • Controls • Interfaces • Combat • Skills • Clans|
|The Game World|
|Area Guides • History • Races • Pronunciation Guide • Transportation • Terrain Survival Guide • Quests • Activities • Enhancing the Game|
|RuneScape Classic • Old School RuneScape|
|Game Guide||Support Centre|
|All you need to know, and more, about the game world. How to get started and how to develop your character.||Need help with your account? Perhaps the game won't run for you? Help can be found here.|
|Scribbles & Sketches||The Community Hub|
|Artwork, fan fiction and arts and crafts are found in this section.||Confused by templates or want to contribute but not sure what to do? Check here for details on the RuneScape Wiki editing community.|
Report a wiki page
If you have identified content on the wiki that breaches the wiki policies or RuneScape rules it is possible for you to resolve this by editing/updating the content.
However if you feel that a user has seriously breached our rules or editing policy and this requires urgent attention from a member of staff, then please specify the issue from the below categories: